The Neptunes/Pharrell's weirdest songs?

• Staff

So, the reason I fell in love with P & Chad was because they were so unconventional and weird.

What do you think the weirdest thing is they ever made? And what's your favourite of those weird songs?

For me it's "Bubble". That track doesn't even make sense in any way, it's just a bunch of sounds out of sync and intentionally out of tune. Seems especially weird in the context of a Sean Paul song. But somehow it works, and I've never heard anything like it.

But yeah... What are your favourite weird songs?

• Gwen Stefani - Yummy. It was like Pharrell's take on the Diplo x MIA sound and then he threw an atomic sized curveball with the mechanical beat switch at the end.

• Fam-lay - scrung out. So weird, should not be a listenable piece of music, but I love it

• "Problematic" by Slim Thug comes to mind. Crazy random synth bassline at a fast tempo that still sounds really cool.

• Missy Elliot - On and On

Lil Wayne - yes

• Light Your Ass On Fire. When I first heard that one I was like "what the heck is this", but I loved and enjoyed it so much. Still do btw.

• **There are too many!! lol **

Kelis - Young, Fresh and New
    Teriyaki Boyz - Zock On
    Mos Def - Twilight Speedball

I also love their weird Nintendo/Sega inspired beats as well like
    Kelis - Gameshow
    The Game - Aint No Doubt About it
    Pharrell - Number one
    Snoop Dogg - Pass It Pass it
    Clipse - Gangsta Lean

• Dude the first time I heard light your ass on fire I was confused for like 5 days. I'd never heard anything even remotely close to how that beat sounded. I kept walking around trying to emulate how it sounded with my mouth.

"trr trrchhh....da da dum dum chhh"

Ahh to be like 16 again

• @Pushamalicious-T said:

"Problematic" by Slim Thug comes to mind. Crazy random synth bassline at a fast tempo that still sounds really cool.

Haha it was the first song I also thought of when I read the forum topic.

@Playahater said:

Lil Wayne - yes

Yeah I'm feeling that one too. And 'Zock On!' and 'Wamp wamp' if they pass as "weird".

• Problematic & Bubble.

• Zock On is such a gem, oh my

• weirdly i love every song yall named

i hated problematic until last week it just has that bounce i love it

• NIGGY NUTS IS THE WORST SONG OF ALL TIME

• i still haven't heard every neptune song yet and i love their weird beats so this thread is great for me

• Clipse trill is weird but crazy

• You can't talk about a weird Neptunes beat and not mention Caught Out There. I'll never forget the first time I heard that. Played the extended instrumental version for the next two hours back to back to back. Completely lost my shit.

• we should post utubelinks

• beast

• Staff

I don't know if this counts as weird but I love how they perfectly emulated music from 90's beat 'em ups (this was scrapped from a Street Fighter game)

• Staff

I have no idea how they came up with stuff like this.

• Tokyo Drift.

Looks like your connection to The Neptunes/Pharrell's weirdest songs? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.