giphy.gif

• @Mavis said:

How the fuck has timbaland received a nomination

THIS^

• that's a crazy picture ha haa

• Admin

@K-Otik lmaooo

• 5019e4a0-29bc-0132-0945-0eae5eefacd9.jpg

Sounwave should've got a nod for TPaB alone.

It's time for some of the new producers like Southside, Metro Boomin, Zaytoven, etc to come through.
    Kanye and Tim have been coasting on their rep for too long.

• I think the pharrell Project is scrapped because of the bad charting of freedom in some important markets. Sad...
    Freedom is a amazing song but the radio stations didnt play it. Typical reason why such a song is failing

• Staff

I have no idea what happened behind the scenes but i think part of P's charting problem is over saturation.

• @Mavis I think you're right. We were talking about over saturation well over a year ago, and since then it's barely slowed down. & it's all a 'more of the same' type of saturation - performances barely distinguishable from each other, interviews with little insight, more The Voice etc etc. The good stuff has been the more low key things (like appearing on/producing for other artists in a more behind the scenes way), cool photoshoots and side ventures (some of the clothing/fashion stuff has been nice and orhertone radio is good). Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to become 'the guy behind the guy' again for a little while? It always surprises me the traditional route the people behind Pharrell take when promoting him - the guy has such natural charisma that it shouldn't need to be overworked, and when it does it detracts from him. & he didn't blow up again a couple of years ago based on millions of promo performances and intentional over saturation, just off of three good songs excellently marketed. The 'people' did the rest

• Staff

Agreed. I actually think The Voice is the thing that did the most damage. (to me) Appearing on one of those shows is something you do at the end of your career, not at your peak! and i think it cheapened his persona and implied to a lot of people that his singing career was short and sweet. I always see those roles as a semi-retirement for singers and i'm sure others do too.

• P should be more focused on making Music and developing his Sound instead of all this selfpromotion. He should make Music for his core base, not for Pop followers.

• but at the end of the day freedom was a good exposure for him regarden to cement his core fanbase

• Yeah I never understood P being a judge on The Voice. With the exception of maybe Adam Levine everyone who's been a judge on these kind of shows is pretty washed up.

• @Mavis said:

Agreed. I actually think The Voice is the thing that did the most damage. (to me) Appearing on one of those shows is something you do at the end of your career, not at your peak! and i think it cheapened his persona and implied to a lot of people that his singing career was short and sweet. I always see those roles as a semi-retirement for singers and i'm sure others do too.

Solid point. I hardly watched the voice for this reason. I'm sure it's interesting and all....i guess a good term would be over saturation like previously stated. Back in the day I thought it was cool that they were behind the scenes and focused so much in breaking the 'sound barrier' and being cool/different. I felt kind of an exclusive connection because not everyone knew who they were but we did.....It wasn't necessarily about being seen but being heard was more important. there was so much emphasis in creating something out of this world, hence the name "The Neptunes". I personally feel like all the music sounds the same now. The depth is just not there. That might be harsh to say and I don't mean it in a bad way... i dunno...

• It's funny because I personally don't think Pharrell is that good at making hits. He's actually not very good at all compared to other producers. Especially not these days. He had a better grasp of what made a hit about 10-15 years ago.

Casual fans and music listeners have always dubbed him as having a "midas touch", blah blah blah. It made more sense back in the early-mid 2000s, but nowadays when I hear it I get confused. It's a good example of a confirmation bias going on. He'll make 10 songs that he thinks can be potential hits, and only one will become a hit. But people will remember that one. So after a couple of years it seems like he's pumping out hit after hit, but in reality its like "hit, dud, dud, dud, dud, dud, hit, dud, dud etc..." If we think about it, in the last 10 years he's had like a handful of songs break the Top 10 Pop charts in US. It's impressive, but it's not like "holy shit midas touch !!!" level at all. 3 of those songs were in the last year 2 years alone.

I think Pharrell's biggest problem right now - aside from the oversaturation on a cheap "pre-retiree" medium like the Voice and repetitive dry performances/interviews - is that he becomes a one-trick pony really easily. "Blurred Lines and Get Lucky became successful? Sweet I'll make 2323424 songs that sound exactly like them." It got old fast. Even to us fans here.

Even Freedom...I don't know if it was just me, but when I heard it I thought to myself "this sounds like Happy 2.0". It sounds like a manufactured hit. Something that he made deliberately using a "hit formula" he has laying around and the result is cheap and makes me and a lot of people just roll their eyes at it.

Also, not sure if this is true or not, but I feel like people stopped taking Pharrell seriously after Happy got so big. He went from being Pharrell the producer-singer to being the "Happy guy with the weird Arby's hat". It seemed like a cheap gimmick - and we all know how the public responds to cheap gimmicky things - they enjoy them for a bit and then brush them away for good.

• Admin

@Mavis thats pretty bollocks to say that being a judge in one of those shows is something you do at the end of your career, I don't see it that way, Rene you have to define pop music cuz most of those artists u see in top 40 have collaborated with Pharrell

• I disagree with the premise that p is chasing hits with a formula. A light gets shun on any musical venture his name is associated with. Under the radar or high profiled, it evens out. However, what do the radio stations want to play all day? "Freedom" nope.. after some fettywap? rihanna? taylorswift? drake? hell nah. As popular as p may seem, he's a niche artist/producer now more so than ever imo.

• @3000 and dj dahi too

Looks like your connection to Pharrell is nominated at the BET Hip-Hop Awards and MTV EMAs was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.