The Evolution of Music & Building Your Own Sound

• I thought this would be a good topic to discuss. As I was listening to Toro Y Moi's "Anything in Return" album and some of MRCARMACKS stuff it really made me think about the evolution of music & how things are changing.

As for the building your own sound part... would you say it takes inspiration to be innovative & original? or does originality simply not exist to some degree?

Whats your view on this? I would love to hear all your opinions.

• I don't know, to be honest. To me, originality is something that's real and not all the same time. Nothing is really ever new, but there are new ways to do old things. So in a way it's original. But everything is based off of something. I've been producing for 7 years and in the very beginning I sounded just like The Neptunes. As time went on, I used their sound to kinda like develop my own. My tracks still have that Neptunes flavor but they have more of my own identity in them. It's 75/25 at this point.

• Admin

Carmack -> Your Favourite Producer

Ill tell u just this, his album material is fucking alien shyt, fuckin amazing its coming next year.

• @Mika he's got an album coming??? :0

All I can say is that it comes out nowhere for me...it's weird how nothing turns into something beautiful. This will be my 11th year producing tho life has gotten in the way multiple times. I think we all sounded like the neptunes starting out. Everyone had that same kit lol

• @Mika In my opinion, EDM is taking over everything song structure wise. Mr.Carmacks sound is crazy tbh, was he the first to make music like that?

• When we say the neptunes sound are we talking the use of Synth strings/pads and bongos ? or the drum patterns?

• @3.14 Both and the use of their more well known drums. If it sounded like Neptunes, we did it.

• Admin

@3.14 said:

@Mika In my opinion, EDM is taking over everything song structure wise.

and I hate it! enough 4x4, 4/4 time, hell I'd even take stuff written in 3/4.

• There's different levels of EDM that I can tolerate. Not the kind that excelerate pause then the beat drops...I can't stand those. Or trap EDM.

• originality lies in the ability to take inspiration from wherever and make it sound like you and not the original source. every idea is birthed from some pre-existing conscious or subconscious thought. those thoughts are a product of what exists in your mind. what exists in your mind is usually stuff you find to be interesting. You're always gonna sound like your inspiration to some degree in music. in high school, anytime i'd try and sing people would be like "bruh stop trying to sound like pharrell." I'd be like "fuck yall" cause i wasnt trying to sound like pharrell. I wanted to sound like me. but being that i wasn't very developed as a singer and didn't know how to have my own voice yet, my ideas were imitation. Imitation, ironically, is at the heart of originality because every artists is a sum of their inspirations and influences.

• @tyreeeeezy said:

originality lies in the ability to take inspiration from wherever and make it sound like you and not the original source. every idea is birthed from some pre-existing conscious or subconscious thought. those thoughts are a product of what exists in your mind. what exists in your mind is usually stuff you find to be interesting. You're always gonna sound like your inspiration to some degree in music. in high school, anytime i'd try and sing people would be like "bruh stop trying to sound like pharrell." I'd be like "fuck yall" cause i wasnt trying to sound like pharrell. I wanted to sound like me. but being that i wasn't very developed as a singer and didn't know how to have my own voice yet, my ideas were imitation. Imitation, ironically, is at the heart of originality because every artists is a sum of their inspirations and influences.

Exactly! This is what I was trying to say.

• Admin

@3.14 nah buddy the Trap scene started in the late 2011, thats also when he experimented with Trap, but he really doesnt have a genre

Looks like your connection to The Evolution of Music & Building Your Own Sound was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.