Old Neptunes/Pharrell/Chad/N.E.R.D. Video Thread

• I hear the MIA influence now, never noticed before. Those aggy chunky drums are so sick to me. Gwen said p didn't like the sample & yodeling she added.

• Yeah, the drum sounds are sick. Definitely had to chop those up. Those are the chunky drums I liked from them. The ones they used on some of the Slim Thug stuff and Faith record from 05 were terrible. Shit sounded like spoiled milk.

• @Mavis

Also Yummy sounded like a Diplo bite

• @Mavis said in Old Neptunes/Pharrell/Chad/N.E.R.D. Video Thread:

I didn't like Wind It Up (except the baseline section which is 🔥🔥) because it was so clearly an MIA bite. I remember her Arular album was getting tons of hype at the time and then Gwen asked her to support her on tour, and Star Trak tried to sign her, then suddenly "Wind It Up" came out.

That was one of the first times I noticed P/tunes chasing trends instead of setting them.

Wow that actually kind of blows my mind. I didnt know ANY of that. Ive always thought the beat was so sick...and it put me in the mind of the Hard Candy records. I thought the yodeling was Chad's weird idea. The way it was chopped and stuff was crazy to me. Thats interesting though...

• Staff

I hate that yodeling. Thanks lord, there's a Neptunes Mix.

• Hmmm, i thought it was a nice touch and matched the sample. I personally like it when the Neps take risks and go off grid...which is why i like the nepts in the first place. They do whats unexpected.

• Staff

@mr_novalike said in Old Neptunes/Pharrell/Chad/N.E.R.D. Video Thread:

Hmmm, i thought it was a nice touch and matched the sample. I personally like it when the Neps take risks and go off grid...which is why i like the nepts in the first place. They do whats unexpected.

Yeah I prefer the sound of music version better too. It makes the song sound complete and it was genuinely weird. The Neptunes version is dry

• she hopped on Yummy - so he scored a minimal beat like he originally wanted i guess.

the whole thing is a cool listen but hit 4:03 to hear her talk about 'Wind It Up'

• Forgot how much The Neptunes appear further through this video

Looks like your connection to Old Neptunes/Pharrell/Chad/N.E.R.D. Video Thread was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.