What makes Pharrell popular with today's audience?

• I've been wondering about this. I know we are fans and we've been down since day one. But, it's the average joes that really make a difference in how much p is in demand. I know songs like Blurred Lines, Happy and Get Lucky really put him back on the map. But what do ppl like about him now? Just the fact that he's Pharrell? Do they really enjoy his sound or the Neptune sound? A lot of the audience now weren't even born or were extremely young during the 2002-2004 era. Idk it's just interesting to know what new fans are thinking. Are they researching going back to listen to Clones and old NERD? Are they looking at Chads solo material? Kenna and so forth? Just wondering.

• Staff

Marketing innit. And he's good.

• @Mavis said:

Marketing innit. And he's good.

What particularly are they using to market and what target market? Just the details of the marketing initiative. Target age group. In order to market to a certain audience, you gotta know what they want to meet the demands of that particular niche.

• Catchiness. The mass appeal. The trap influence.

I'm sure a lot of the people who bumped Blurred Lines when it was big probably were up to Hollaback Girl and Milkshake back in the day but have no idea that its Pharrell behind all of those.

Either way, I'm "happy" for him...just wish a lot of these people would recognize that he's not new to this ish.

• Staff

@mr_novalike nah music is universal you don't need to know about that shit. All you need to do is get your song all over radio and TV shows and if people like it, then they like it.

• He's appealing to other people because his work is consistent yet unpredictable. He continues to bring new music, new fashion trends etc. to the game. He's no ordinary artist and works outside the box n does his own thing.

• He's always been different imo. Idk I just thought about the mindset of new fans is all. In the mist of all this trap in the radio now, I thought it was interesting how he appeals to today's crowd.

• In my opinion, when it comes to popular appeal for Pharrell - it's all about "Safeness". Pharrell is "safe". He doesn't have too many extreme opinions. Doesn't wild out. He's old, he has a family. He tries to be a feminist. He does nothing but praise people. He's a mild mannered, safe, cool, black dude, and parents of kids approve.

In short: Women like him because he's handsome and youthful. Guys like him because he's cool. Parents like him because he's safe. Kids like him because he made Happy, and dresses like a kid.

• @Playahater said:

In my opinion, when it comes to popular appeal for Pharrell - it's all about "Safeness". Pharrell is "safe". He doesn't have too many extreme opinions. Doesn't wild out. He's old, he has a family. He tries to be a feminist. He does nothing but praise people. He's a mild mannered, safe, cool, black dude, and parents of kids approve.

In short: Women like him because he's handsome and youthful. Guys like him because he's cool. Parents like him because he's safe. Kids like him because he made Happy, and dresses like a kid.

I totally agree. That's what I meant when I posted the topic. Sort of a perfect storm of kid and female appeal. And of course when women like something, guys tend to not be far behind.

Looks like your connection to What makes Pharrell popular with today's audience? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.