I need a drum kick that really knocks

• Can anyone hook me up? Any format is cool (wav, mp3 etc etc)

One that hits hard with a good amount of bass and crispness.

• anyone? please?

• Admin

http://freesound.org

Also layering is your friend

• Compression and eq can make any weak kick really bump

• it took me close to 10 years to figure this out, but basically you take the biggest, meanest, kickdrum you can find and remove close to all treble, sometimes you need to pitch the kick down/up a bit to really get the boom(knock. The next step is to layer the kickdrum with another kickdrum that has the "sound" you want people to hear... usually I put an acoustic drum sound.
    So yeah, that's a good rule to keep in mind. I mean this is what I do for the huge kicks that Timbaland used to have... and it's a good rule to use for all kick drums. Because, we often thing we need to add treble to make it knock, but it's most times the other way around.

• This is gold.... I've also been trying to figure this out along with trying to make the kick/bass sound as if it overpowers the other instruments I.e mr Carmack and Katranada. The only way I know to do this is through automation

• Staff

@mr_novalike said:

This is gold.... I've also been trying to figure this out along with trying to make the kick/bass sound as if it overpowers the other instruments I.e mr Carmack and Katranada. The only way I know to do this is through automation

Carmack sounds like he's over compressed his drums and layered them a few times.

You know you can make your drums have a bigger sound by running them through non-traditional processes. For example, running a kick through a guitar distortion pedal can really make it punch and feel wider, if you play with the settings a little.

Mikey (P's engineer) gave me some good advice - he said think of your drums the same way you think of keys playing a chord. You want to layer your drum sounds and EQ so they "harmonise" and blend into one another as if it were one kick.

• @Mavis said:

@mr_novalike said:

This is gold.... I've also been trying to figure this out along with trying to make the kick/bass sound as if it overpowers the other instruments I.e mr Carmack and Katranada. The only way I know to do this is through automation

Carmack sounds like he's over compressed his drums and layered them a few times.

You know you can make your drums have a bigger sound by running them through non-traditional processes. For example, running a kick through a guitar distortion pedal can really make it punch and feel wider, if you play with the settings a little.

Mikey (P's engineer) gave me some good advice - he said think of your drums the same way you think of keys playing a chord. You want to layer your drum sounds and EQ so they "harmonise" and blend into one another as if it were one kick.

I usually layer my drums and run a delay on each drum but set the echo to the point where it doesn't echo/sound as one drum. This is how I usually add punch. But I'm going to try what you said because that makes a lot of since and would probably give me the effect I want. My drums still sound pretty weak by the time I start eqing. Limiting plays a role too but I want that soft un distorted buttery tone that Carmack and others have

• Really awesome info. I really appreciate you guys taking the time out to offer me some of your wisdom.

How come a lot of the times when I try to layer drums they end up almost distorting each other and the sound gets all "jittery" and shitty Sounding. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

• @Playahater said:

Really awesome info. I really appreciate you guys taking the time out to offer me some of your wisdom.

How come a lot of the times when I try to layer drums they end up almost distorting each other and the sound gets all "jittery" and shitty Sounding. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Not compressing?

• @Playahater phase issues?

• @mr_novalike said:

Huh? You don't sidechain fam?

• @axele said:

@mr_novalike said:

Yeah like @axele said what you're talking about is side chaining. Which is when all the instruments sort of go underneath the kick whenever it hits.

• @Pushamalicious-T said:

@axele said:

@mr_novalike said:

Yeah like @axele said what you're talking about is side chaining. Which is when all the instruments sort of go underneath the kick whenever it hits.

I need to study that. I know of it but i can't seem to make it work for some reason when I tried it before . Up till now I've done all my effects "manually" with automation per instrument track....which can be time consuming

• pay attention on attack of the drum sound itself and sure you need a good monitors for that piece, and everything said here before about compression works great too in context of layering paterns by side chaining and by layering a couple of drum components (sounds) to bring it to a perfect conjunction, but first and foremost my advice is a quality of kick-drum sound and its attack!! the dispersion of attack.. i hope you feel me ;)

• I can now successfully side chain. Youtube is a beautiful thing.

• Admin

@mr_novalike said:

I can now successfully side chain. Youtube is a beautiful thing.

The Internet is a beautiful thing. Instantaneous knowledge of all of humanity. Hardly any excuses left to suck at pretty much anything anyone is interested in.

Looks like your connection to I need a drum kick that really knocks was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.