Producers of Grindin

• As a producer, I think a lot about how my music effects others (audience peers etc) and how others affect my music. I also think about how what I'm listening to at that time affects my sound and the tonality of my music.

So, I just started this thread in hopes that it creates a dialogue about what you guys think as music curators and producers in general.

Do you make music for yourself not caring what people think and just put it out or do you hope for some notoriety too? Or Both

Also what are you guys' process when you make a song/beat/etc? What do you look for in mixing/mastering if you do that or do you let someone else handle it?

We always hear each other's music but I want to hear what you think about your own music.

• good idea for thread @mr_novalike

personally, i create music for myself and hopefully others feel it too. mainly because it's a form of therapy for me. but if i'm working with other artists then I obviously cater to what they want as well.

usually i already have an idea of what i want to create. whether it's from lyrics i've already written or just a overall tone i have in my head. and since i went to school for engineering, i usually mix it myself. but i like to have someone else handle the mastering.

looking forward to the responses.

• For everything I've made I have used my own sense of feeling as the audience, I just like making the sounds that I think are cool without worrying about what people will like and not like about it, I feel thats where some producers can fall off..some it actual helps when you know what will work for an audience

• You should always be creating stuff that sounds good to you personally in my opinion. As far as my process, it's always been sitting in front of the keys trying to find a chord progression, or cool melody etc. laying a bass line over it and then adding drums. Sometimes I might put the drums before the bass idk all depends. Then I start adding different layers and always either adding effects or tweaking stuff to make it sound cool. Then when it comes to arranging the full beat. I drop certain sounds at certain points, bring them back etc. keep it interesting you know. Then I think about a bridge or maybe an outro or maybe none. But yeah that's my process in a nutshell, I don't think it's anything special but it's all about the moments that make you sit back and be like "yo this shit sounds crazy!" Mixing is something that I now take much more seriously and that includes a bunch of eq compression and other boring stuff that I don't want to talk about. Lol it's my least favorite part about the process but it's ver y necessary

• @Pushamalicious-T said:

You should always be creating stuff that sounds good to you personally in my opinion. As far as my process, it's always been sitting in front of the keys trying to find a chord progression, or cool melody etc. laying a bass line over it and then adding drums. Sometimes I might put the drums before the bass idk all depends. Then I start adding different layers and always either adding effects or tweaking stuff to make it sound cool. Then when it comes to arranging the full beat. I drop certain sounds at certain points, bring them back etc. keep it interesting you know. Then I think about a bridge or maybe an outro or maybe none. But yeah that's my process in a nutshell, I don't think it's anything special but it's all about the moments that make you sit back and be like "yo this shit sounds crazy!" Mixing is something that I now take much more seriously and that includes a bunch of eq compression and other boring stuff that I don't want to talk about. Lol it's my least favorite part about the process but it's ver y necessary

That's really strange because that's almost exactly what I do step for step. The main differences is that the "yo this shit is crazy" part is a necessity for me to continue making the beat. Like if it doesn't hit me in the beginning then I go another route/start over/ or don't make it all. Y'all know what I mean? It's like a feeling that once it hits, you know exactly where you want to go with that track...but yeah that's interesting

• Feeling, it's all about feeling. I don't care how any of my beats sound, but if it gives me that feeling of, "Oh, shit!" I'm putting it out there or pitching it to an artist. I think people tend to forget that. I was even doubting myself thinking not making a trap song was suicide. But at the end of the day, if it's gonna move people, it's gonna move them regardless of what the elements are. Neptunes definitely taught me that. In retrospect, some of the sounds they used were cheesy, but it's how in which they used it that made it work.

My process differs when making a track but 80 percent of the time I start with chords.

• @Spaceman I agree totally. It really is all about feeling. You go into it with no expectations, a blank canvas basically and you just create. We're artists first because we paint the picture most if the time

• I usually try and make stuff that sounds nothing like what's out at the time, like with my Triton, i usually just put pretty chords over preset drums or sometimes i'll use a preset drum pattern and slow it down to like 90bpm, i usually add drums then bass then chords and i use preset synth pads. i like to make stuff that feels good or just makes me happy, sometimes i'll be making a beat then find a sound and create something different, like im really into jazz so i usually use elements of that in my beats or just 90's R&B chords and bridges like groove theory or i'll use clavs to give off a stevie wonder feel

• sometimes i'll make something based off how i'm feeling at the time.. like i could he happy or in love and make the prettiest beat ever or i could be mad so i make an aggressive kind of almost grimey beat

• I agree 100% with the feeling notion that Spaceman is talking about. For me its been about arrangement and blending sounds together. Each sound is its own element within the song so the listener may hear the rhythm of the cowbell in the back of the song or pay attention to the synth thats panned all the way to the left and etc etc ... oh and i usually build off of what inspires (drum idea, melody, chords etc)

• Following your own sounds i think makes you more versatile. I think we are all like that to some degree, specially if we know the software or equipment. Im thankful to have an artist that's willing to ride a beat that's left field. But that's because he understands my music and it kind of molded into his signature sound. I typically use a lot of dark ambient tones when I make album/project related material. Most of that has to do with my vision of hiphop. It's hard imo to make happy-go-lucky hiphop. That only time it's lighter for me is if I sample something that has a lighter tone. In contrast, if it's a dance/electronic track, it's almost always lighter toned.

I also have a sense sometimes that "if I put this out, no one will understand it and it'll sound Wack....and there's a very thin line imo between really feeling the track and being true to yourself...and the beat being terrible...with the latter mostly being the audiences general opinion. I've posted beats before that I really liked on sound cloud, but the listens would be like 5 or 10 in a week...and I'd pull it from soundcloud lol. Here lately tho I've been learning to be true to myself and not care much about that reception of the track...tho I'm in the middle of a project now and some of that I have to keep in mind since I live in the south and my artist is a southern based lyrical rapper. I wouldn't mind exploring some with different artists tho to change things up.

• @mr_novalike lol i know exactly what you mean

• @mr_novalike timing is everything. the average listener may not get what you're doing right now, but that doesn't mean it won't pick up later.

• @wiggles said:

@mr_novalike timing is everything. the average listener may not get what you're doing right now, but that doesn't mean it won't pick up later.

808's & Heartbreaks is the perfect example of this.

• @mr_novalike i definitely make every beat to cater to my own tastes first. I just be hoping that other people sometimes like some stuff that i do cause its only an expression of me.

my process different everytime tbh. sometimes i use a movie scene i have in my head as reference or like a animation or cartoon. sometimes i use my mood at the time. sometimes i just do random shit and see what happens. i used to be like "im gonna make a Tyler beat" or something like that but that tended to infringe on my own creativity and i was making fake remakes of beats and shit. i love putting pretty chords in everything tho. like 7ths and 9ths and stuff but then having hard ass drums too. i feel like popular has an influence on how i approach my music to an extent cause i wanna make some of my music easy to dance too, but at the same time i dont want anything i make to be directly compared to anything. i feel like finding your niche is the most important part of making music that you enjoy.

• @mr_novalike I start to make my music with an idea or a feeling that I want people to feel. Usually I start with the drums, but sometimes I have an idea of melody or bass line already set, so I start out there.

Mastering I always send someone else to do, but this semester I started studying about, so I can try in next months.

ps: @mr_novalike "beenawhile" is a beautiful track man!

• sometimes i make beats based off things i like, like i could be watching "paid in full" with the sound off and try and make something based off the club scene or like watching TV as well and trying to make a song that would fit a certain scene.

• idk
    im at a weird place where I want to take the music to the next level but
    it kinda changes why and how I make music.
    I overall make music for myself and because its apart of me. when trying to
    make a little money off of it and get some fans/listeners and artist to use it
    the approach becomes more analytical and restricted
    whats the right bpm, oh maybe i need to make it sound like a radio song
    or the popular soundcloud guys so ppl will listen and...
    idk its a damning process

makes me want to give up sometimes,

mostly in my creative process, I sit and I may have an idea or I just play around on the keyboard
    until i find something that reflects how Im feeling, or its something
    i like.
    then next is whatever i feel is necessary or what will take the energy into a different direction
    i may have an idea such as, i want the bass to feel like this, i want the hats to say this
    in the midst of writing and programming, I'm doing little eq tweaks here and there to
    enhance the composition qualities I want to stick out
    then I mix, listen over and over and move on

sometimes in the middle of a beat, I might freestyle over it bare bones and go from the flow in my head and what rapper or singer i know who i could send the beat to and use to create a song.

• @VandG said:

idk
    im at a weird place where I want to take the music to the next level but
    it kinda changes why and how I make music.
    I overall make music for myself and because its apart of me. when trying to
    make a little money off of it and get some fans/listeners and artist to use it
    the approach becomes more analytical and restricted
    whats the right bpm, oh maybe i need to make it sound like a radio song
    or the popular soundcloud guys so ppl will listen and...
    idk its a damning process

makes me want to give up sometimes,

mostly in my creative process, I sit and I may have an idea or I just play around on the keyboard
    until i find something that reflects how Im feeling, or its something
    i like.
    then next is whatever i feel is necessary or what will take the energy into a different direction
    i may have an idea such as, i want the bass to feel like this, i want the hats to say this
    in the midst of writing and programming, I'm doing little eq tweaks here and there to
    enhance the composition qualities I want to stick out
    then I mix, listen over and over and move on

sometimes in the middle of a beat, I might freestyle over it bare bones and go from the flow in my head and what rapper or singer i know who i could send the beat to and use to create a song.

I understand this 100%. This is where im at right now.

• I'm still in the early stages of learning how to make beats. Don't have a keyboard yet (getting one soon hopefully) so the easiest place for me to start is just programming cool drum loops. This probably isn't the best place to start, but having to program notes and chords and experimenting is difficult when you have to input them individually with a mouse. I kinda just make whatever sounds nice to me/I'm proud to have made. Kinda just all over the place at the moment. Really ready for a keyboard..

• @Hunter said:

I'm still in the early stages of learning how to make beats. Don't have a keyboard yet (getting one soon hopefully) so the easiest place for me to start is just programming cool drum loops. This probably isn't the best place to start, but having to program notes and chords and experimenting is difficult when you have to input them individually with a mouse. I kinda just make whatever sounds nice to me/I'm proud to have made. Kinda just all over the place at the moment. Really ready for a keyboard..

I've been producing for more than a decade. Still don't own a keyboard lol. Matter of fact, I considered upgrading to a Mac my first upgrade. I click every note in each song. every once in a while I'll program chords from my computer keyboard through automation but even then I have to straighten them out using that mouse.

But having a keyboard with an mpc attachment wouldn't be bad.

Looks like your connection to Producers of Grindin was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.