Can we talk about the early Neptune sound for a minute?

• Most of us have already known this, but the OtherTone interview seemed to confirm it. The early sound consisted of a lot of snare drums and the infamous clavi. Can we assume that it was Chad creating/using the clavi sound? At the end of the day it doesn't matter but I just wanted to open up the discussion

• I've always wondered who chose the sounds to use. That Clavi sound is on the Korg 01 by the way. Chad has said in the past that he would hear an idea P would come up with and replay what he came up with. I guess the best example of this is when Chad, P and Justin were at the piano in the Justified sessions.

• I remember reading in an interview P did that he chose the clavichord sound because neither him or Chad could play the guitar and it brought a really hard feel to tracks. I'm guessing they both utilized it equally. Those early tracks were really percussion driven so I'm guessing P was doing most of it in those days...I feel like Chad started picking it up more in late '02 and then Clones onward. May be wrong .

• Staff

Long answer coming....

@hunter That's actually an interview with Chad where he talks about the clavi. And noooo no way was P doing most of the music in the early days. If you listen to the songs from 98-2004 you'll hear they're way more complex and better structured than the era after (when Chad left).

I'm not attacking you or your answer. Just trying to clear the facts.

Yeah @floridagator The Neptunes sound is all Chad to begin with. The clavi, analogue synths, the crazy weird effects, the minimalism, the lazer sounds etc. Even the hbolded textard drums and everything are Chad.

there used to be a ton of interviews with Chad where he explained how that electronic cheap sound came about because he was trying to make the most from the limited equipment he had in his house. And the minimalism was because he could only record 4 instruments. And that is what defined their sound for much of their career.

But now obviously P has picked up on that and developed a sound of his own based on how they started. I think it's always cool to remember it this way - when the Neptunes started out P was a songwriter and vocalist. Chad was producer. it took a lot of years for P to become a producer. Well into the height of The Neptunes success.

• @Mavis man how did I miss all those interviews with Chad through the years. I didn't know some of this stuff. Thanks for breaking it down Aaron.

• Staff

I was waiting for the Chad fan.

• Staff

*chad stalker 🙊

• D.O.I. - In my opinion, Noreaga's 'Superthug' played a big role on making you guys
    famous. How did you guys create an eccentric beat like that?

Chad - We were trying to create new sound of Hip Hop mixed with Rock. Back then
    I didn't know how to play the guitar so we used a clavichord sound for the track. In our opinions, that was the most hard hitting sound that we could use
    to replace the guitar.

http://www.accesshiphop.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14252.html

• the thing that makes it hard to kinda confirm who did what is how they talked in interviews
    chad always spoke plural
    most artist credited pharrell and only pharrell when speaking of their tracks

• @VandG I think that's because Chad was in VA fine tuning and Pharrell was with the artist writing the song and hooks to the track most of the time

• its 2016, why does it matter who pushed what keys, and hit which drum? its way in the past, we loved them then, we love them now. No matter who did what in the studio, which none of us will actually no..unless you were there.

• @imleeroygreen well some could argue that it's shitty P gets all the praise when Chad had a heavy hand in the production.

Give credit where credit is due ya feel me ?

• @imleeroygreen said:

its 2016, why does it matter who pushed what keys, and hit which drum? its way in the past, we loved them then, we love them now. No matter who did what in the studio, which none of us will actually no..unless you were there.

I fully expected a response like this which is why I said that it doesn't matter but that it makes for conversation

• Staff

@imleeroygreen said:

its 2016, why does it matter who pushed what keys, and hit which drum? its way in the past, we loved them then, we love them now. No matter who did what in the studio

It's relevent because P mentioned it in OTHERTone this week.

• I remember when AlSween used to joke about Pharrell being a terrible keyboard player

• @floridagator said:

I remember when AlSween used to joke about Pharrell being a terrible keyboard player

That's always been pretty obvious in any footage of him playing.

• @busy said:

@imleeroygreen well some could argue that it's shitty P gets all the praise when Chad had a heavy hand in the production.

Give credit where credit is due ya feel me ?

This man said shitty P LOL

DAAAaam Daniel

• @mr_novalike lol nah it was meant like "it's shitty that P gets..."

• @Mavis that makes total sense

I've always assumed Chad did most of the work, music wise. I know Pharrell was a drummer and song writer. I always imagined Pharrell coming up with melodies and concepts, and Chad filling the musical void and turning a lot of stuff into a reality. I further received that affirmation during a scene in the Justified DVD when Chad walked in on Pharrell and Justin playing an acoustic, and Pharrell asking Chad if he had the chorus or something finished.

Idk, but It makes me wonder about that scene in Jay-Z's "Fade To Black" doc when Pharrell playing him Allure, for the first time. People were joking about him just pressing the Gun shots and shit, like he didn't contribute anything else lol.

• A lot of the early stuff you can tell P played on it because there's a lot of one note to three note melodies. He was DJ Mustard before DJ Mustard lol. But in that Limp Bizkit footage when P was playing that melody at the end of the video, you could already tell that he was getting better at the keys.

• The only reason why this Forum is still alive is Pharrell
    because he is constantly putting out Music. Chad did literally NOTHING the last couple years lol
    Give P the respect that he deserves.

Looks like your connection to Can we talk about the early Neptune sound for a minute? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.