PHARRELL MENTIONED IN PANAMA PAPERS?!!!

• According to my friend this is the case. I cant get my hands on the papers tho, anyone has it?

So far I know that Messi, Jackie Chan and Daddy Yankee are mentioned. Does this also mean the end of their career???

• Admin

goggled the hell outta it, no results yet

• Staff

If he is mentioned then nah it won't be the end of his career. He's not a politician, he's a musician - so it's not too important. Pretty much everyone in music and TV does tax avoidance.

• @Mavis yeah, caused a bit of a stir in India with Amitabh bachchan, Aishwarya Rai etc. but even there seems to have died down really fast.

• If politicians aren't held accountable, public figures won't be either. But everyone else, pay your taxes or go to prison. "So open your eyes, the joke's on you guys, and you ain't gotta be a mason to see through some of this shit on occasion"

• What's Panama Papers?

• Guys the news died fast on this topic because most "suspects" are in fact Media Moguls they own a lot of the media. Thats why you only see independent media outlets talk about this now. Shout out to the Germany journalists who risking their lives investigating this, but I'm really concerned if P is in it. Especially since his income is so global

• @Spaceman said:

What's Panama Papers?

@Spaceman said:

What's Panama Papers?

I'm sorry but I'm lost too

• http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/panama-papers-explained-piggy-bank-india-list-dummies-guide/

FYI not calling you dummies, I read it too even though I knew what it was about

• I wonder what percentage of people, if you asked them in the street 'do you like paying taxes? Would you rather pay less tax? If there was a way you could pay less tax which wasn't illegal, would you take that option?' would say yes to all three? Genuine question (not trying to trivialise the issue, and I know this is only half the problem).

• I can only speak for myself, but, I know that I don't mind paying taxes if said taxes are going to the betterment of my community. It's nice to have infrastructure, social programs, like fire departments, schools, parks, etc. I don't like however dishonest and unethical use of tax money, like using said taxes for endless war, tax breaks for corporations that make it a practice to pay their employees unfairly, pollute because it's cheaper than not polluting, and ship their offices and factories outside of their home country.... And in the case of the Panama Papers, give the wealthy loopholes and methods of evading taxes, that the general public has to foot the bill for. It's a means to keep the poor poor, and make the rich richer. You can become wealthy and still contribute positively to society... it's about sharing responsibility.

• Staff

I don't know how tax systems work in other countries, but in the UK I can understand why rich people want to avoid tax. They pay way more in than your average person (in £ value) and they don't get anything extra from it. A person who pays £100 a year tax is going to be entitled to the same things as someone who pays £250k tax. It's dumb.

It's also worth noting that when these people "avoid" tax they aren't completely avoiding tax. They're still paying Tax on whatever money they don't hide away. And the amount they're paying will still be more than your average person pays. So I don't really like the "letting poor people foot the bill" argument. (Not aimed at you cloud helix . It's just an argument I've heard a lot on discussion shows)

• @Mavis brilliantly articulated

• Yea well put @mavis.

A lot of these folks "avoiding" taxes are still paying more in tax than 99% of the population

• @Playahater said:

Yea well put @mavis.

A lot of these folks "avoiding" taxes are still paying more in tax than 99% of the population

Nah they're not paying their fair share. This is indefensible. You're saying rich people deserve to keep more money because they're rich.

• That's a lot of money man. Someone who makes about 45,000 dollars a year contributes like 9000 dollars of tax. Someone who makes 10 million a year contributes about 4 million in tax (in Canada) even thought their expenses are much higher than the 45000 guy.

The rich pay for public services theyll never use. So it's understandable they avoid it. My dad is a semi retired physician but when he worked a lot he made about 250K a year and got taxed up the ass. So he found ways to deal with it (income splitting, "business expenses" etc etc) Most people with salaries of 150K or more find ways to pay a bit less in tax. Because the system we have now essentially punishes you for making lots of money

• Staff

@rob said:

@Playahater said:

Yea well put @mavis.

Nah they're not paying their fair share. This is indefensible. You're saying rich people deserve to keep more money because they're rich.

What is a "fair share" when one person pays 10k in and gets 20k value in return, another pays millions and still only gets 20k out?

People (again not aimed at this specific comment) use emotive and moral words like "fair" and "share" and "equal" and all this stuff to explain the tax situation. But it's inherently not a fair or moral system.

Looks like your connection to PHARRELL MENTIONED IN PANAMA PAPERS?!!! was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.