What are some good examples of Pharrell channeling other producers?

• Not counting Prince or Quincy, cuz I feel like theres elements of that in all of his music....

He said VATO was his "best Dre impression"

Yummy sounds like he's channelling Diplo.

Any other examples?

• This post is deleted!

• Guerilla by Maxine (blatant early M.I.A rip off), Shake Twist Drop by Rye Rye (corny as hell bird flu by M.I.A rip off - yeah, I know this was Switch rather than Diplo but you get the idea), Pep Rally by Missy (the bounce stuff like Express Yourself), even Twerk It by Busta (see T.O.P & GDs Knock Out or Bubble Butt for reference) all sounded influenced by some of Diplo/Major Lazer's multiple styles and come off a little disingenuine to me (granted Dip himself borrows/influenced heavily by others but that's a discussion for another day ;) )

• Staff

I Proceed = Jazze Pha
    I also think P was heavily influenced by Martin Terefe. After they worked together there was a very definite and distinct change in P's sound that's still around to this day. Examples would be "One Thing", "Hey You", Stand Up, I Know Who You Are etc

• Mavis said:

I also think P was heavily influenced by Martin Terefe. After they worked together there was a very definite and distinct change in P's sound that's still around to this day. Examples would be "One Thing", "Hey You", Stand Up, I Know Who You Are etc

They worked together on that Shea Seger record right? Or am I just getting shit confused

• Staff

Hunter said:

Mavis said:

They worked together on that Shea Seger record right? Or am I just getting shit confused

I think Martin worked on that yeah though not sure they met. They def worked face to face on Alyssa Bernals album, Javier Colon, and Apparajtik tho

• that blind situation shit goes hard, kenna was on there too i think

• bye bye by alana could be inspired by jamiroquai or just jazz artists in general like RHCP, i could just hear them over a track like that.

• i really like you girl is all over 80s stevie wonder.

• lazer gun & like 'stay together' have some tribe influences, like lazer gun sounds like beats, rhymes and life tribe to me. it sounds like seperate/together from that record.

• "see that boy again" = stevie wonder, at least to me anyway.

• "Bridges"; "Nothin' Else" - Stevie Wonder

"Young Girl" - Babyface

"Staircases" - Roy Ayers

"Special" - DJ Battlecat

Looks like your connection to What are some good examples of Pharrell channeling other producers? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.