For the producers of the forum

• Are any of you guys actually doing music full time? If so, what steps did you take to achieve that step?

• @Spaceman Just do it bruh!

• @Spaceman Just do it bruh!

That's the plan! I'm just researching on how to go about it.

• I'm in school majoring in Sound Recording Technology and minoring in composition so I can compose music for video games. Not sure if it's the right path for me, like I don't think you have to go to school wasting money to be a video game composer if you already have skill, ya know? I'm just babbling and didn't really answer your question sorry.

• I wish I was doing music full time, I went to school for Audio engineering and work an audio job but working on my own music full time is what I really want to do, at the moment Im just putting together a catalog of different style hip hop/rap beats that I can lease and sell while also building an official home studio not just a beat workstation.

• Spaceman said:

Are any of you guys actually doing music full time? If so, what steps did you take to achieve that step?

Just do it

• Staff

Spaceman said:

Are any of you guys actually doing music full time? If so, what steps did you take to achieve that step?

Everyone I know that produces or is an artist, just worked mad hard and had vision. I think all you can do is have a vision of who you want to be, and then build the connections to support that. Then it'll naturally fall into place over time

Deffo building connections and having rapport with people is as important as making good music. It's like any job - you have to get along with your 'colleagues' and they'll help you in return. So with music, you gotta get out there with other people who have achieved what you want. And then watch, assist, learn, party, whatever else and you'll find yourself with a whole bunch of people who will support you and take you to that next level.

• Definitely all of the above. Plus be prepared to take chances. I had an offer to fly out to LA a couple of years ago to produce some tracks for an album and didn't do it for various reasons - my advice is don't leave yourself with any regrets

• Thanks, guys! I appreciate your responses!

• This is a bit powerful.

• Admin

The new v5 grindin has a special section dedicated to content creators. Curations from the best of grindin' producers, weekly/monthly challenges, file hosting, and a knowledge base. Hopefully it'll serve you all well. Peese

• The new v5 grindin has a special section dedicated to content creators. Curations from the best of grindin' producers, weekly/monthly challenges, file hosting, and a knowledge base. Hopefully it'll serve you all well. Peese

Sign me up.

• Mari said:

The new v5 grindin has a special section dedicated to content creators. Curations from the best of grindin' producers, weekly/monthly challenges, file hosting, and a knowledge base. Hopefully it'll serve you all well. Peese

Yes PLEASE...

• Staff

Mari said:

Dope. Sign me up to provide some marketing/PR how-to's for the knowledge base

• Mari said:

I'm definitely in!

• natetorebby said:

Sign me up.

yes yes yes

• Mari said:

holy shit, im in too

• Spaceman said:

I majored in music w/ concentration in sound recording. My primary instrument in college was Alto Saxophone. I started interning at the top studio in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area the summer before my senior yr of college. The internship came about through a high school/college program I was in. It allowed me to seek out my own internship placement. I was working with an artist who was cool with the CEO of the studio. I played him like four tracks and he said, "We could use you here".

Interning allowed me to see different sides of the industry. Most of my placements have come from me just being in the studio and working my way up. Within a yr I went from a studio intern to being apart of the production team the summer after I graduated from school. I was able to connect and network with many people in the process. I'm on the team anymore but I still work out the space. A lot of artists roll the through the studio. Major and indie. Sometimes it's all about being at the right place at the right time. It also helps to be prepared for whatever opportunity presents itself. All of the production I was doing on that team allowed me to be equipped to work with any type of artist.

As far as doing music full time. For me it's all about faith. I was on an IT contract for about a year that paid pretty well. My contract got cut in January. I prayed about it and took that as sign that I have the freedom to do music full time now. I work part-time at Music & Arts. Outside of that I'm working on production projects and performing. It's not easy by any means but you have to believe in yourself. I could've easily got another IT job but my heart wasn't in it. I told myself I'd rather grind and work my ass off doing something I'm passionate about than to sit at my desk and get a sweet paycheck. There's no freedom in that, in my opinion.

I don't know if I answered your question but I hope my response helped.

• ReggieVolume said:

Spaceman said:

I majored in music w/ concentration in sound recording. My primary instrument in college was Alto Saxophone. I started interning at the top studio in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area the summer before my senior yr of college. The internship came about through a high school/college program I was in. It allowed me to seek out my own internship placement. I was working with an artist who was cool with the CEO of the studio. I played him like four tracks and he said, "We could use you here".

Interning allowed me to see different sides of the industry. Most of my placements have come from me just being in the studio and working my way up. Within a yr I went from a studio intern to being apart of the production team the summer after I graduated from school. I was able to connect and network with many people in the process. I'm on the team anymore but I still work out the space. A lot of artists roll the through the studio. Major and indie. Sometimes it's all about being at the right place at the right time. It also helps to be prepared for whatever opportunity presents itself. All of the production I was doing on that team allowed me to be equipped to work with any type of artist.

As far as doing music full time. For me it's all about faith. I was on an IT contract for about a year that paid pretty well. My contract got cut in January. I prayed about it and took that as sign that I have the freedom to do music full time now. I work part-time at Music & Arts. Outside of that I'm working on production projects and performing. It's not easy by any means but you have to believe in yourself. I could've easily got another IT job but my heart wasn't in it. I told myself I'd rather grind and work my ass off doing something I'm passionate about than to sit at my desk and get a sweet paycheck. There's no freedom in that, in my opinion.

I don't know if I answered your question but I hope my response helped.

Super super super super dope, man. I wish nothing but the best for you. You're a new inspiration. Thanks for the response.

Looks like your connection to For the producers of the forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.