Am I the only one that puts Seeing Sounds over In Search Of...?

• I feel like I'm the only one that thinks Seeing Sounds was the definitive N.E.R.D album. Don't get me wrong, In Search Of is still 10/10 but Seeing Sounds was only a whole 'nother level musically. It pushed the boundaries so damn hard, Seeing Sounds is its own genre, you seriously cannot categorize that. The production was so fucking ridiculous, seriously "Spaz" is soooooooooo ahead of its time (whole album is) but honestly. In Search Of was essentially The Neptunes branching out to rock/funk/fusion music (you know with the early 2000s Neptunes sound with clavs, drums, etc.) but Seeing Sounds was truly what I feel like N.E.R.D is as a group, not just the Neptunes branching out. And yeah, 7-8 years later of course they're not gonna be on the same sounds, but that's exactly it, progression, and I felt like they've evolved so much from ISO to SS. Love Bomb, Spaz, Laugh About It, SOONER OR LATER (GODLY), You Know What, Anti Matter, Everybody Nose, Laser Gun, man it's ridiculous. ISO was heavily influenced from Alt. Rock to Soul to Funk to Bossa to Jazz, hell even country, but SS was the least influenced meaning true sound from the group (seriously Spaz is so next level). But SS being the least influenced doesn't make me put it above ISO, it's just how ahead of its time it was/is and how great the music was. Like Anti Matter bridge fucked me up so hard the first time and hearing shit like the Laser Gun hook for the first time when you're 12 is just mind boggling. Idk man it's so much but y'all get the point. And ISO gets so much love over Seeing Sounds which makes sense but I feel like I'm the only one that puts Seeing Sounds over it.

TLDR: Seeing Sounds is the least influenced N.E.R.D album that pushed the boundaries so hard and that's too ahead of its time that's overshadowed by ISO. Never met people who prefer SS over ISO.

• Admin

I applaud you for voicing this, but I think they're about to run you off of these forums. Godspeed son.

• Staff

Cool but I disagree. Seeing sounds has tons of outside influences. Sooner or later = teaes for fears/the Beatles. Time for some action = Calvin harris. Windows = My Sharona. Yeah You is clearly a jazz song. Then they there's drum and bass inspired shit etc.

I can see why someone might prefer SS. I have a friend who prefers that album too. I just don't agree that "they weren't influenced by anything"

• Staff

I understood you when you said " Like Anti Matter bridge fucked me up so hard the first time and hearing shit like the Laser Gun hook for the first time when you're 12 is just mind boggling."

I was 13 when I first heard "Stay Together" (yeah, that song again). That's why I put ISO over SS. A question of when you discover the music/band maybe ?

• yeah like, i was like at least 12 when i first heard babydoll and lap dance and it was life changing because i hadn't heard anything like it before.

I'll admit that seeing sounds, some songs had to grow on me, its still the same three songs this day i have to skip but ISO is a straight play through (even though i still don't really like truth or dare)

so i respect your opinion but ISO is definitely t h a t album and SS is always third after FOD

• I fully understand trust me. I like them both and In Search of has great songs on it, but seeing sounds it an album thats nothing more than hits each track.

• holy fuck, my bad, he already posted

• Fuck, I can understand where you're coming from bro cause i was like fucking 7 when SS dropped, and like hearing it in my dad's car & seeing like the fucking 'Sooner or later' on MTV, blew my mind. ISO is still my favourite, cause of how it sounds like a fusion of everything i love, bossa nova to jazz to funk to rap and rock, Love Bomb is my fav off SS though.

Sooner or Later omg, around the time the Sooner or Later single dropped, my parents separated and it fit where I was at perfectly, i cant even play it around my mum cause it reminds her of where we were at that time but that song brings back a shit ton of memories that are good and bad.

Everyone Nose is like childhood personified (i feel like i used the wrong term) that was like my favourite off there, the little bridge part in 'You Know What' that's reminiscent of like 70s disco and shit omg, that was the shit I was feeling around the time & like fucking T-Pain's Chopped & Skrewed, the whole Hard Candy record and Picture Perfect off Exclusive.

Unpopular opinion: "Happy" does not sound like happiness AT ALL & the last two songs are like :/ idek they're not sick, they're just like ok.

• Staff

I always thought the "happy" title was meant to be humorous? It's a song about feeling bitter and kidding yourself everything's fine when it's not. Or maybe I just looked too deep?

• Mavis said:

I always thought the "happy" title was meant to be humorous? It's a song about feeling bitter and kidding yourself everything's fine when it's not. Or maybe I just looked too deep?

maybe it could be ironic or just being optimistic.

• I think it was about 3 years ago where I finally realized that Seeing Sounds is actually my favorite N.E.R.D album. ISO was super innovative etc. but I find myself playing SS more than ISO or FOD. I have really good memories from that album and that's probably why I feel that way.

• In search of...
    There is not one track at all on that masterpiece that I could skip...even now in 2016!!
    I always debate what album would be my runner up to the unbeatable In search of...
    The conclusion I've come up with is seeing sounds and fly or die have to only be drawn joint second depending on what my mood is and how the weather is lol!!!
    Roll on the next album

no one ever really dies

• Cool but I disagree. Seeing sounds has tons of outside influences. Sooner or later = teaes for fears/the Beatles. Time for some action = Calvin harris. Windows = My Sharona. Yeah You is clearly a jazz song. Then they there's drum and bass inspired shit etc.

I can see why someone might prefer SS. I have a friend who prefers that album too. I just don't agree that "they weren't influenced by anything"

Seeing Sounds def had influences but the least. never said they weren't influenced. It's just stuff was so left field on that album.

• I understood you when you said " Like Anti Matter bridge fucked me up so hard the first time and hearing shit like the Laser Gun hook for the first time when you're 12 is just mind boggling."

I was 13 when I first heard "Stay Together" (yeah, that song again). That's why I put ISO over SS. A question of when you discover the music/band maybe ?

Yeah me discovering N.E.R.D in 08 around the time SS dropped definitely plays a factor to why I think it's better. So I guess I'm a little bias lol

• I agree, and I've always said this. Seeing Sounds was a perfect album. It was just great song after great song. And most of the songs had a bridge or switch up that just took apart the song, and put it back together in a different way. To me, ISO has a handful of songs I skip through. But Seeing Sounds, keeps a consistent, cohesive mood throughout the whole album.

And I don't think Happy is supposed to be ironic. Its about being in a draining relationship and when it's done, everything just gets better, and things fall into place. "Sort of like, I'm on overdrive....killin it, killin it"

• I find myself getting more excited for seeing sounds than in search of.....

• This post is deleted!

• You're definitely not alone. I'm pretty sure I'm alone though when I say ISO is my least favorite NERD album. That's not to say that I don't like it, I love it, but it's my least favorite of the bunch. My order of the albums from most liked to least would be 1) Fly or Die 2) Nothing 3) Seeing Sounds 4) ISO

• @Skletch It's all subjective , but Nothing over SS and ISO !!??

• That is correct.

Looks like your connection to Am I the only one that puts Seeing Sounds over In Search Of...? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.