Kid Cudi - Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin' (2016) (5 Pharrell Tracks)

• https://www.gq.com/story/kid-cudi-is-alright-profile

Cudi even smiles when he's clearly bummed—as when we talk about his 2016 album, Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin', and, in particular, the song “Surfin’,” produced by Pharrell. “I don't know if Pharrell will work with me again, because those songs didn't do what they were supposed to do,” he says with a grin. “The label didn't do the right thing.” If you missed that album, it's worth a listen now. It's Cudi at his best: moody wailing, occasional grooves, and post-bender realizations. And if not for that reason, then to help get Pharrell to work with Cudi again.

• Staff

Still listening to that album to this day. 😎

• Why wouldn't Pharrell work with him again just because the singles weren't successful? Surfin wasn't really that good of a song. His other Pharrell tracks were way better. Also why does everyone blame their labels for their flops?

• @illegalicecream ive always wondered that too, people blame the label because the general public didnt react to their music in this day and age the way they wanted too

• Surfin outro is top tier though. I think he got a really solid 3 songs from P on this - love them all

• Staff

I revisited these songs lately. Flight at first sight/advance and By Design still sound really good. By design should have been a single for sure

• What year is Cudi living in where he thinks a Pharrell single is what gets you a hit?? JT didn’t get any hits from P on that country album I forgot the name of. Ariana didn’t get any hits from P. Miley didn’t get any hits from P. TI didn’t get any hits from P on PaperTrail. Nelly didn’t get any hits from P on MO. The list goes on and on.

Nowadays a few Pharrell tracks is what you put on your album to pay homage to the generation above you, and to get them to stream your shit. There might occasionally be a flash in the pan (ApeShit, Alright, Stirfry) but that’s the exception. Definitely not the rule

But usually it’s not gonna be the banger everyone has on repeat.... there are other producers for that.

• Staff

@Playahater said in Kid Cudi - Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin' (2016) (5 Pharrell Tracks):

What year is Cudi living in where he thinks a Pharrell single is what gets you a hit?? JT didn’t get any hits from P on that country album I forgot the name of. Ariana didn’t get any hits from P. Miley didn’t get any hits from P. TI didn’t get any hits from P on PaperTrail. Nelly didn’t get any hits from P on MO. The list goes on and on.

Nowadays a few Pharrell tracks is what you put on your album to pay homage to the generation above you, and to get them to stream your shit. There might occasionally be a flash in the pan (ApeShit, Alright, Stirfry) but that’s the exception. Definitely not the rule

But usually it’s not gonna be the banger everyone has on repeat.... there are other producers for that.

Yo Miley didn’t even release a pharrell single? And also her album was released the same year he had 4 number one singles? So that’s a bad example.

But I get what you’re saying. I think Pharrell’s style is old fashioned in some ways - people don’t want that pop melodic sound at the moment and his productions sound really out of place compared to what’s current. The club is the only place where people can be “forced” to listen to certain songs that trickle down into pop culture (like how the radio used to break songs, but nobody listens to the radio now), and P’s music doesn’t sound right in the club any more. So it’s harder for him to break through to certain audiences.

I think people who enjoy being creative and unusual still work with Pharrell because he’s a living legend.

• I think that’s actually been my main gripe with P lately. If he were to work with more names that didn’t require him to try and make something that would appeal to mainstream audiences all of the time, he would be allowed to be as left field and creative as he would like. If we got a P x Kali Uchis or something with The Internet it would be more likely that something really dope would materialize.

• You know, this is a dope observation and I agree with y’all. I feel like that has sorta played with the way I’ve listened to music as a whole for a while, hoping that (Neptunes or Pharrell) had some weird left field type hit(s) and got ‘NOTHING’... the tracks that are on the T.I, Ariana & JT albums are dope! BUT some of his beats in the last years do follow this “formula” that Pharrell forcefully tries to make obscure but ends up sometimes sounding like FL 4 beats. We all miss the LIVE drums and the use of LIVE sounds, (ie, claps, cowbells, guiro) I personally think that both Pharrell & Chad are on a different and broader level musically & they can compose and produce instrumentation better sonically. But I stand on the fact that they’re having a hard time adapting to the “laptop-era” of production. I recently saw that Timbaland posted a video on his IG and he admitted that it has taken HIM YEARS to adapt to a laptop more so than physical equipment & can safely say that’s where Pharrell is. Maybe we as fans should just appreciate what productions we get and never forget the gems they blessed us with.... Anyway... I revisited the Kap G songs they did for his SupaJefe album last year and those songs were so left field and hard hitting! I expected Migos/Quavo album to have tracks like those!.......... Icha Gicha BUMPS!

Looks like your connection to Kid Cudi - Passion was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.