Macbook For Music Production



  • What's up, Grindin' fam. Do any of you know anything about MacBooks as far as music production goes? About how much money should I save up for it? I'm looking for a one that I could make beats on and etc. I have external hard drives so extra space isn't an issue. I just want to make sure it's in good shape and doesn't have issues such as over heating, running slow, and etc. Any advice would help, thanks guys!



  • I used to use GarageBand on there, that was my DAW for a while haha. Ableton is the move apparently though.


  • Staff

    I have a MacBook Pro with 64gb ram and Logic Pro X. But I still find myself switching on the Windows computer and using FL.

    The MacBook screen is so small I have to scroll all the time in logic. So my advice would be, if you get a MacBook then make sure you get the biggest screen size (15" I think?). It'll prob make workflow a lot easier.



  • I bought logic at the same time I bought my MacBook and tbh I've hardly ever used it - perhaps embarrassingly I still revert to using FL studio on my old giant laptop



  • I use Macbook and Logic Pro X, I would say have some ram so you can run everything smoothly. other than that, its been useful.



  • Logic Pro X on Macbook never disappoints for me.



  • So does it mean that you could produce the same beats as Pharrell?


  • Staff

    So does it mean that you could produce the same beats as Pharrell?

    You could use the same sounds. But tbh those sounds are even available in garage band. The Rhodes, the Liverpool bass, the Hollywood strings, that moog type lead. All stock GarageBand/logic sounds.



  • Yup I pretty much agree with everything @Mavis has said in here. I own the 15 inch retina. Since it's a laptop Make sure to have a mouse as well. If you want to go in and edit etc. the trackpad is just annoying on its own



  • Logic pro X, and you can mix into Pro Tools for the master
    Pro-tools is optional tho, I just Logic X
    Logic pro X is about $199



  • I'm selling mine actually, its a late 2012 model in pristine condition. has ableton 9, logic x, photoshop, illustrator, mac office already installed. I'm selling cause i got gifted a new one recently. 8gb memory, 1TB HD already updated to OS Sierra (latest Mac software). let me know if anyone is interested.



  • I'd like to use FL on my mac but until they stabilize the mac version, I'm going to us my pc laptop. I guess that's irrelevant to the topic but if you can afford a MacBook powerful enough to atleast run bootcamp, go for it. Then you have thr best of both worlds.



  • Why is logic so much cheaper than cubase, ableton etc...?



  • Side note - does anybody still use Nuendo?


  • Staff

    René said:

    Why is logic so much cheaper than cubase, ableton etc...?

    I think the theory is that selling 1,000,000 units of Logic at $100 is more profitable then selling 50,000 at Cubase's price (just making up those figures but you know what I mean).

    So my guess is that they want to make it more accessible to make more cash from sales. Low software costs also increases MacBook take up, so extra £ there too.



  • How quick is it to learn how to use Logic Pro? I guess I've slacked off investing any time in trying to use it - is it fairly easy? Is it easy to load samples into?



  • Mavis said:

    René said:

    Why is logic so much cheaper than cubase, ableton etc...?

    I think the theory is that selling 1,000,000 units of Logic at $100 is more profitable then selling 50,000 at Cubase's price (just making up those figures but you know what I mean).

    So my guess is that they want to make it more accessible to make more cash from sales. Low software costs also increases MacBook take up, so extra £ there too.

    Thank you very much for youre opinion. Good point!



  • This post is deleted!


  • Mavis said:

    I have a MacBook Pro with 64gb ram and Logic Pro X. But I still find myself switching on the Windows computer and using FL.

    The MacBook screen is so small I have to scroll all the time in logic. So my advice would be, if you get a MacBook then make sure you get the biggest screen size (15" I think?). It'll prob make workflow a lot easier.

    64 gb ram !?!? damn lol



  • phoomphoom said:

    Mavis said:

    I have a MacBook Pro with 64gb ram and Logic Pro X. But I still find myself switching on the Windows computer and using FL.

    The MacBook screen is so small I have to scroll all the time in logic. So my advice would be, if you get a MacBook then make sure you get the biggest screen size (15" I think?). It'll prob make workflow a lot easier.

    64 gb ram !?!? damn lol

    My thoughts exactly



  • MHousel52 said:

    phoomphoom said:

    Mavis said:

    I have a MacBook Pro with 64gb ram and Logic Pro X. But I still find myself switching on the Windows computer and using FL.

    The MacBook screen is so small I have to scroll all the time in logic. So my advice would be, if you get a MacBook then make sure you get the biggest screen size (15" I think?). It'll prob make workflow a lot easier.

    64 gb ram !?!? damn lol

    My thoughts exactly

    i wasnt even sure that was possible


Log in to reply

Looks like your connection to Macbook For Music Production was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.