NASA Finds ‘Mega-Earth’

• Admin

19512308cfa25de42c837522a09e726cee5be3a3.jpg

Scientists announced Monday last week that **NASA’s Kepler Space Telescope **has spied an exoplanet that is **17 times **larger than Earth. **Kepler-10c **has been described as a “Mega-Earth” because it is even too gargantuan to fit into the category of “Super-Earths,” which are about **10 times **the size of Earth. Scientists didn’t even think an Earth-like planet this big could exist because it was believed that planets 10 times the mass of **Earth **would hold on to so much hydrogen gas they would become like **Saturn **or Jupiter. But **Kepler-10c **is a rocky, dense planet not enveloped in gas. This discovery suggests there is plenty of room for life to exist on other plus-sized planets.

*http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2014/06/02/nasa-discovers-mega-earth.html

• I find this appropriate live_on_this_planet_futurama.gif

• INteresting.
    Is anyone else watching Cosmos with Neil degrasse Tyson?

• @MortenMars planning on marathoning it this summer

• "The discovery suggest there is plenty of room for life to exist on other plus-sized planets."

So they rule out existing life on gas or liquid planets? This implies that if life begins on other planets, it must find the same route as it has begun here. How life can exist on our planet can not be set as a standard for everything else. I think it could be possible for life to manifest in gas or any other forms as well

• @FlowHightide I agree with you, and in fact that there's evidence on earth itself that life can exist in the harshest of environments. I think when they talk about life they mean human life. That's what I think they're looking for, other humans in the universe.

• @VandG Why would they be looking for other humans in the universe hahaha? That's more stupid than suggesting you need the same conditions as on Earth in order for life to exist, of course they're not looking for human life, as if we're the standard of entire space.
    It could be anything

• What if something lived off the vacuum of space O_O

• @mr_novalike said:

What if something lived off the vacuum of space O_O

there are microorganisms that can already do that. however, they're dormant in such conditions.

• Its Namek guys

Looks like your connection to NASA Finds ‘Mega-Earth’ was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.