ATLANTIS a musical inspired by Pharrell's childhood

• pharrell_-getty-_h_2017.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/pharrell-williams-life-story-be-adapted-fox-musical-977293?facebook_20170327

The project, which will be helmed by Broadway director Michael Mayer, reunites the studio with Williams, who produced the hit 'Hidden Figures.'

Fox has won a hot pitch for a musical inspired by Pharrell Williams.

The project, called Atlantis, is a musical that is being described as a Romeo and Juliet style story (with a music element) inspired by Williams’ childhood in Virginia Beach.

Producer Gil Netter and Williams took the pitch out to the studios a few weeks ago, engendering simmering interest as studios watched Lionsgate enjoy massive success with La La Land and coveted their own musical number. Fox finally nabbed it last week.

Michael Mayer, known for his Broadway work on Spring Awakening, for which he won a Tony Award, and American Idiot, is attached to direct. Martin Hynes, who is currently writing Toy Story 4, is attached to write Atlantis.

Williams and Mimi Valdes will produce via their I Am Other banner and Gil Netter is producing for Netter Productions.

Williams was born in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He's had a notable career as a singer-songwriter and music producer, and has won 10 Grammy Awards. He produced soul, hop-hop and R&B music with Chad Hugo under the name The Neptunes for many of the industry's top recording artists, and performed as the lead vocalist in the band NER*D. He also released the solo albums In My Mind (2006) and Girl (2014).

Lately, however, the WME-repped Williams has been making in-roads into movies, and was a producer on Fox's acclaimed hit Hidden Figures, which was nominated for three Oscars including best picture. He also wrote songs for the film that starred Octavia Spencer, Taraji P. Henson and Janelle Monae. Williams produced Roxanne Roxanne, which recently debuted at Sundance, and has written music for a slew of films over the years, including the hit "Happy" from Despicable Me 2 for which he received an Oscar nomination. He's repped by WME.

Mayer’s film credits include directing the 2006 film Flicka and the upcoming film The Seagull starring Saoirse Ronan. He is repped by WME, which also repped the Atlantis package.

Hynes, who also wrote a Curious George project for Imagine and Universal, is repped by Original Artists.

• Staff

Interesting... they've been pushing this idea for a while now. Does anyone remember "Zoom!" ? The musical/TV show they were going to make based on P's childhood a while back - during the voltron era.

• Do you think that what's the "special project" was about ?

• I thought Zoom was supposed to be an album. Wasn't that the one Busta Rhymes said made him cry when Pharrell played it for him or some shit?

• @Mavis I remember I talked to Shae in Cincinnati after a stop on the Glow in the Dark tour, and he said they were working on a Cartoon. Not sure if that was what Zoom was, though.

Anyways, sounds pretty cool, he's got all the major credentials and great people around him to create the film. Looking forward to it.

• @nerd0016 said in ATLANTIS a musical inspired by Pharrell's childhood:

Do you think that what's the "special project" was about ?

Oh shit. Probably is. I said it was probably for a soundtrack too. That would make sense, but IDK he'll probably only have VA artists on this soundtrack. Either way I am excited and this will be dope as hell!

• @Skletch said in ATLANTIS a musical inspired by Pharrell's childhood:

I thought Zoom was supposed to be an album. Wasn't that the one Busta Rhymes said made him cry when Pharrell played it for him or some shit?

I'm still waiting on this... The song that made Busta Rhymes cry lol

• I hate musicals.....

• Staff

@Skletch said in ATLANTIS a musical inspired by Pharrell's childhood:

I thought Zoom was supposed to be an album. Wasn't that the one Busta Rhymes said made him cry when Pharrell played it for him or some shit?

I think they both might've had the same name?

• I thought Zoom was renamed as Dope

• Staff

@Playahater naww Dope was inspired by Odd Future

Looks like your connection to ATLANTIS a musical inspired by Pharrell's childhood was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.