How did you get turned on to the neptunes.

• I know we have done this before but people come and go and this forum has been quite lethargic lately. I want to hear your story of what turned you on to the neptunes when and how old you were. Was it a beat that you heard? Did you see Pharrell everywhere and wonder what the same random light skinned black guy was doing in all these videos? Let's hear it.

Me personally it was hot damn. I had heard it and the beat made me feel a way that no other beat had ever made me feel before. And his singing on The hook was just heavenly. Then I looked into Pharrell and the neptunes and realized how many songs they had produced that I already knew about. From that day on everything made sense to me and I made it my mission to acquire every single song that they had ever produced. Keep in mind this was back I. The day of lime wire and bear share so it was pretty time consuming. I eventually put together a pretty solid collection, and then a couple years later I stumbled across the grindin' forum. I thought I had a good collection and then I met a guy named Mika who had hundreds of songs that I had never even heard before lmao. Good times.

• it was either when my pops used to play kaleidoscope in the house like 01/02....hearing wait a minute on a friends mix cd.... or the first teen night i went to in middle school and i heard phillys most please don't mind. either way i fell in love with the "PHOOOOOOOOM".

• Justified album by JT. After that, I liked the sound more than anything. I only realised when I was older that all the songs I liked where by The Neptunes and that's where it started. I then started listening to N.E.R.D. when "She Wants To Move" played on TV. I think around 2007 is when I was obsessed with Pharrell and his sound and I've been the biggest fan ever since. It's impossible for me to not like ANY song he has worked on. Exept for Raspy Shit.

• @ECHLN yy same as you. Started with justified

• N.E.R.D.
    I heard many of the songs they produced before they started N.E.R.D., but it's when In Search of... dropped that I really became aware of who Pharrell and Chad were and started to keep up with everything they did. I guess I was about 10/11 years old at that time. Lord Willin' also played a big part in making me a fan of their production. Then I discovered the Star Trak forum and the old IRC #theneptunes channel and I started to download everything available.

• Took a while for me to connect the dots.... I was a mainly a Timbaland fan as he initially made me pay attention to producers.

Superthug was probably the first song, then after awhile from 1998-2000 kept seeing ol lightskinned dude with the terrible mustache showing up in all the videos with that snare and steel guitar sound. Finally put everything together when N.E.R.D "Lapdance" video came out.... was hooked ever since! Lurking StarTrak-related forums since like 2000-01!

• the first time i heard grindin on the radio my face scrunched up and i thought to myself 'what is THIS??' i couldn't get enough of it cuz i had never heard anything like it before on the radio. around that same time a friend of mine in high school bought the in search of album and left it in my car. i'd occasionally pop it in and listen to brain, lapdance, rock star, and occasionally stay together but that was it. i would go out of my way and search for neptunes produced songs on limewire and kazaa since they were normally bangers but was just a casual fan.

eventually in 2005, i was 20 years old and going through a breakup. for some reason a decided to revisit ISO (probably to listen to stay together lol) and i eventually fell in love with the entire album. during this time i became good friends with a guy that also loved NERD and he pushed me to listen to FOD which i eventually fell in love with also. i think at this point i finally said these guys have a lot of tracks that i like and i should try to find out more about them so i joined the star trak forum. so with the help of friends everything finally came full circle. the CD that an old friend left in my car with the guy playing playstation on the cover was from the same guys that made grindin and a lot of the other banger songs i liked. once i joined the star trak forum and eventually #theneptunes on IRC, it was game over lol

• I downloaded a handful of songs in 2002 off Limewire that either said “ft. Pharrell” or “(Produced by The Neptunes)”. Did a quick AltaVista search for Pharrell and realized he was part of the Neptunes. And from there I just typed in Pharrell Neptunes on Limewire and downloaded everything. A few months later I found the StarTrak forum and the rest is history. Got super into clothes and became a metrosexual dude after this Neptunes discovery. Pretty crazy.

My Neptunes obsession starting fizzling out in about 2012 when my cousins and my wife’s cousins started putting me onto new shit. New music gave me a feeling that Pharrells stuff just wasn’t giving me. I’m not talking indie hipster shit. I mean like rick ross, asap rocky, Kendrick, drake, weeknd and a few years later Partynextdoor, Travis Scott, migos. This shit just had a vibe that I hadn’t felt from Pharrell in years.

My interest in P’s music hasn’t been the same since. I come on this forum regularly hoping there’ll be something new that bangs and changes my mind. I’ve been hoping for years tho ☹️

• @Playahater lmao at altavista 😂😂😂 forgot about that one. That was the best search engine for years before google.

And yeah Travis Scott was my new"Pharrell" as a producer. But only up until rodeo. Birds sucked dick and he doesent even really produce his own beats anymore. All the Travis Scott Mike dean beats on owl pharaoh and days before are incredible.

• If anyone is interested I wrote quite extensively about getting into The Neptunes here:

https://mikitosimon.blogspot.com.es/2016/09/rnb-for-late-night-from-star-trak.html

It's a long piece.

• I knew who they were when Lapdance dropped, yet I really didnt like that song at all at first, then it grew on me out of no where. After that I had much more appreciation for all the tracks I heard them produce before hand

• mase's looking at me, I was in the 5th grade when it dropped. Then I started becoming accustomed to finding the "Neptune's sound"

• Staff

Honestly it’s really complex because I didn’t realise that Pharrell, The Neptunes and NERD were all the exact same thing. So I was hating on Pharrell hard when snoops “from the chuuch to da palace” came out because I was annoyed that some random guy was on the song shouting out random shit, ESPECIALLY that “they riding on the side?” Part wow that used to annoy me so much that someone was credited to talk on a song.

While at the same time I loved the Neptunes because they did cool stuff with Kelis and ODB and Busta and NSync and all this other stuff I thought was great. But I also hated NERD because they were featured on that Britney song and I felt like the guy in the video was some annoying nobody acting way too cocky.

Yeah I used to be even more cynical than I am now.

Then when clones dropped I finally put the pieces together, and went back and relistened to everything from a new perspective and became a stan. Once I realised that P wasn’t just some random guy, and was in fact a secret genius then it made everything make much more sense.

Up until that point I wasn’t really paying attention to album credits or behind the scenes stuff. I just listened to music for what it was.

• I can vividly remember I Just Wanna Love U really hitting my brain when I was first getting into hip hop in my early teens - that and the production on Pop ya collar by Usher (big up Shekspeare) kind of connected with me differently to other stuff I was into at the time. It was the year after (2001) when I started to become a real fan without realising it. I’m from the UK and I would religiously listen to Tim Westwood’s rap show on a Friday and Saturday night and record the tracks I liked first on a cassette - and then a minidisc player. Basically a load of those tracks were Neptunes’ produced - Young’n by Fabolous, Knock ya self out by Jadakiss, Grimey by Nore, Candy by Foxy Brown, Best U Can by Tha Liks. I loved There She Goes by Babyface - man that song was so crazy to me at the time (think I heard it on Trevor Nelson’s show) and just connected with crushes I had at school etc...Then I finally bought 8701 by Usher a year after release and became addicted to I Don’t know - very addicted. At this point I had no idea of the producers, and wasn’t scrutinising album credits. I think it was the next year when I got a demo disc with a French magazine that had isn’t this the world by Joe on it that I first read Williams/Hugo (I was practising my French, trying to translate the back of the CD case lol). Then came the Summer and NERD singles got released plus a load more classic productions and it all finally fell into place. I remember first hearing rockstar in my Dads garage and kind of recognising P’s voice, loving it, hearing the DJ say something about Neptunes and dashing upstairs to check my CD album credits while it was still in my head. My mind was blown and the rest is history

• My first exposure was through Mase why you looking at me, my older brothers had the cassette and cd singles of that song and it was so dope but as a child i found it funny. i got put on really through my older brother. he was and still is really into them and i just took after him and formed my own relationship with the neptunes

• Seeing the Frontin' video on MTV, especially the end Bridge after the Jay-Z verse, I went back and researched all of there stuff, and also wondering who is that Asian guy and what does he do lol

• Junior year of high school, the in search of album with spymob, I can remember being stripped between j Dilla and the Neptune's, the tunes were just killing shit with "I just wanna love you" and other bangers as we all know. I can still remember Latrelle dropping "house party", i remember being like "WHAT THE DIRECT FUCK IS THIS?"... I was in high school at the time, shit was just dry for me in the music game after the chronic 2001 album, like nothing musically was grabbing my attention, most of the shit I was listening to was Dilla originally Jay Dee before stones throw, the dungeon family "even in darkness" album Among other shit. I wasn't a nelly and the at lunatics fan AT ALL. couldn't do it. But, what I was understanding in my early days, these cats were making music with artists I couldn't stand at all. then, these muthafuckas put out "There she goes" with Babyface, which I have to say, is a fucking sleeper. And it was perfect timing I think for face, because he was going changes personally like divorce and shit and Arista I believe was folding. But when that beat dropped, the rest is history. Then went back picked up kelis's first album. Philly's most wanted album, like a dumb fuck after researching these cats, N.e.r.d and the neptunes were pretty much family. After that I was like "fuck what you saying about anybody, it's Neptunes out here son! You can't tell me shit, don't tell me about no ye records, no Swizz beats, I don't care. None of that, let me have this phase! Anything them cats put out, I'm on it"

• @Playahater fucking lime wire. GeeZ. I hella forgot about that shit

• Admin

@noidea90 said in How did you get turned on to the neptunes.:

Junior year of high school, the in search of album with spymob, I can remember being stripped between j Dilla and the Neptune's, the tunes were just killing shit with "I just wanna love you" and other bangers as we all know. I can still remember Latrelle dropping "house party", i remember being like "WHAT THE DIRECT FUCK IS THIS?"... I was in high school at the time, shit was just dry for me in the music game after the chronic 2001 album, like nothing musically was grabbing my attention, most of the shit I was listening to was Dilla originally Jay Dee before stones throw, the dungeon family "even in darkness" album Among other shit. I wasn't a nelly and the at lunatics fan AT ALL. couldn't do it. But, what I was understanding in my early days, these cats were making music with artists I couldn't stand at all. then, these muthafuckas put out "There she goes" with Babyface, which I have to say, is a fucking sleeper. And it was perfect timing I think for face, because he was going changes personally like divorce and shit and Arista I believe was folding. But when that beat dropped, the rest is history. Then went back picked up kelis's first album. Philly's most wanted album, like a dumb fuck after researching these cats, N.e.r.d and the neptunes were pretty much family. After that I was like "fuck what you saying about anybody, it's Neptunes out here son! You can't tell me shit, don't tell me about no ye records, no Swizz beats, I don't care. None of that, let me have this phase! Anything them cats put out, I'm on it"

how are you brah ?

• @Mika man Mika! MAD BUSY. Mad busy, been working my ass off, nigga getting old lol

• @Mika the question is, how you been bruh???

Looks like your connection to How did you get turned on to the neptunes. was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.