HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK

• i was listening to Chuck Berry, and realized that that was 'rolling 7s' before....but couldve been made after Rolling 7...because based on the snare, the pockets of the 808s and the painting of the vocal chops, 7's had to have been made around the time the Hidden Figure songs were being made, it was just a leftover ( not in a badway) that didnt fit the overall tone of that album. so i went back to listen in full and man. one thing about pharrell is when he gets into a sound or look, he sticks with it for a while until something new catches his eye, and this album is a great example. this is one of the times where i think he perfected his original idea. this 60s influenced gospel soul with hints of modernism so it doesnt fully bore the listener. not sure how many people here either grew up in a black church or around the music, but the gospel thing he was doing with these songs hits the nail on the head. from the short bridges that only last a feww bars, to the people yelling and talking in the background ( God Bless us All had to be his first time sorta perfecting this) mimicking an actual sunday service, the lyrics and way he phrased these things, amazing.

Crave is awesome, i mean, Mystikal would have def taken this if this was 2001.
    Surrender fucked me up when i first heard it, the drum pattern is out of this world, the victorious pads that just floats overs the busy percussion meshes so well, and ms. hathaway just ties it all together, this is what' Scream 'wanted to be but didn't quite get there haha ( i love scream btw). and that bridge, i know its a few people on here that gets annoyed when certain people bring those up but man, that is a staple in the prodcution, and the bridge on Surrender is a brick straight through a window...horrible analogy but you get me, beautiful. ( also can someone link me to the video of pharrell doing sound check for that song with his vocals?).
    Mirage is trash but what is a pharrell album without one dud? Killjoy I Wanna Jam Raspy shit, its fine.
    i used to hate ABLE but, when i listen to it from the standpoint of Ok, what was he trying to do, Oohhhh shit, he nailed it, it allows me to appreciate it, and man we need a version with the bridge looping or coming back a few times before the hook, same with APPLE, that bridge is fucking godly man.
    ISNT THIS THE WORLD again, beautiful. crazy he took that song and reworked to really give it this victorious tone, and janelles voice really works for this. its a perfect mix also with the 60s sounds and the modern souund he was trying to find. the hi-hats and 808s work in sync to the point i dont even notice.
    sheesh, ive seen stints of stevie in P's music but got damn, if CRYSTAL CLEAR isnt a stevie wonder song i dont know what is. regardless tho, this song is awesome. i should be annoyed by how he says clear, but man he went for it for the sake of the song and whole concept of the album and i fuck with it. and again, that bridge, yes bitch yes.
    Jalapeno is cool, i wish it continued with the percussion instead of bringing in the 808 snare and hi hats but whatevr, i hope the p ref version comes out one day.
    i dont like VICTORY but, thats a 9/10 gospel song if judging it from the intention.
    i dont know why i typed this but listening to this album and DM3 sound track ( Hug Me is just 1000 if pharrell was gay haha) made me realize man, we kinda got alot of pharrell albums in the past few years, at least they all sound different to a certain degree, and although i dont like the new NERD output, i can still appreciate that it exist.

also, i wonder why FREEDOM didnt go on this album it cleary was made in the same timeframe and wouldve have fit it.....

• This post is deleted!

• Rollinem 7s may very well be a throwaway from the Hidden Figures ST. Isn’t this the world uses those exact brush drums or w.e but like everybody has stated he uses the instruments on a shit load of songs until he’s completely tired of them, I guess it’s his way of having a “sound” that you can easily identify as being his every once in a while, or it’s just his classic way of being an efficient producer trying to see how many songs he can squeeze out of a certain set of sounds, the clav guitar shit, those lovebomb horns, the vocal chops and stock sub bass from logic lol all of these things are from different eras but have been on countless songs.

• I wanna hear what Questlove’s version is gonna sound like.

• It had its moments and Chuck Berry was on Despicable Me 3, no? The Despicable Me tracks all sounded like NERD tracks. When I first heard DDBT, I automatically thought of Doowit.

• @Skletch yeah chuck berry was DM3
    was listening to that the other day and those songs are cool. We have gotten a lot of output from P. very quality work. I definitely dig the hidden figures sound track, its still on my car usb stick.

i wish P bring the bucket drums back though

• Hug Me and Chuck Berry are definitely among my favourites from Pharrell this year. There is a thread running through the three projects (Hidden Figures > DM3 > NERD) that ties them together pretty neatly

• Surrender was one of my fav songs of the year -- Crave was super sick, too.

• Staff

I really can’t fuck with this album because I don’t like the fake gospel style. (I love when Kanye brings gospel in his records but it didn’t feel as authentic in this case)

However, Crystal Clear and Isn’t This The World are among my favourite neptunes songs of all time.

They’re so perfect it’s unbelievable. I feel like “isn’t this the world” could have won an Oscar if it was eligible. And if P gave Stevie “Crystal Clear” as a single whoooaaa I bet it would be an all time classic (though the P version is still an all time classic to me)

• I wasn't crazy about this soundtrackwhen it first dropped, I loved crave but that was about it. The other day I caught the end of this movie on HBO (haven't seen it in full yet) and was really taken back by how well these songs fit the movie. I didn't like surrender at all but wow when it plays at the end of the movie it almost gave me chill at how well he captured that 60s vibe. it's really a beautiful song when i hear it in that perspective.

you guys are right that the hidden figures soundtrack, dm3 soundtrack, and new nerd albums all tie together in one way or another. I def get nerd vibes from a lot of songs on dm3. it's almost as if pharrell had a plethora of songs ready and had to pick and choose which ones he wanted on which album

sidenote: i'm sure this was previously noted but during the closing credits for hidden figures i saw that chad has writing credits on isn't this the world. made me smile when i saw it

• @pappoo Joe - Isnt This The World came out in 2000, P reworked it for the soundtrack, thats why chad is credited

• makes sense now lol. i may have known that when the soundtrack first came out but have since forgotten it was a reworked song. thanks for the reminder!

• Staff

@BabyMilo said in HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK:

@pappoo Joe - Isnt This The World came out in 2000, P reworked it for the soundtrack, thats why chad is credited

Im sure he worked on it to clean it up too though. No hate on P but there are so many layers and details in it that I never hear in P songs. The way the clavi interplay’s, the way the organ drops in and out. The fact the choir pitch bends to sound organic, The key changes, the way the drums hit correctly, the timpani sounding realistic... it feels much richer than the rest of the album

I am just assuming though so I could be wrong.

Let’s ask them

• @Mavis man i notice this fourm always downplays P's talent, like its certain shit isnt capable of doing, i mean im sure that alot of you havent been in a studio to see what chad and P has actually added to these songs. then again you may know more than me, but its always interesting to me when something decent comes out people are like ohhh man chad had to be apart of this no way pharrell could come up with something like this on his own.....

• @BabyMilo said in HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK:

@Mavis man i notice this fourm always downplays P's talent, like its certain shit isnt capable of doing, i mean im sure that alot of you havent been in a studio to see what chad and P has actually added to these songs. then again you may know more than me, but its always interesting to me when something decent comes out people are like ohhh man chad had to be apart of this no way pharrell could come up with something like this on his own.....

Lol this is how I always feel. It's like most people here are anti P. Or anti P solo anyways.

• Staff

@BabyMilo said in HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK:

@Mavis man i notice this fourm always downplays P's talent, like its certain shit isnt capable of doing, i mean im sure that alot of you havent been in a studio to see what chad and P has actually added to these songs. then again you may know more than me, but its always interesting to me when something decent comes out people are like ohhh man chad had to be apart of this no way pharrell could come up with something like this on his own.....

@BabyMilo I don’t mean downplay P’s talents at all, I just think that they have totally different ways of working. And they both concentrate on different elements of a song.

I have so many Chad songs because I’m always getting sent his demo’s and ideas, stuff that’s never comes out (just last week I got his version of Lemon) - so after years of hearing them separate, I can now hear those exact same elements in play on certain Neptunes songs and it makes perfect sense to me where they came from.

It’s like handwriting. Everyone writes differently.

Doesn’t mean that I think P is bad, and doesn’t mean that I think Chad makes better songs alone. nah. Just that I think they’re better together and I believe i’m fairly good at hearing when they’re together and when they aren’t.

For example, I’m not jumping on Crystal Clear and saying that’s both of them, and I think that’s the superior song out of the two.

• @Mavis valid valid, i get you. and yeah see, you have reasoning at least, alot of people just be talking out of their ass for the sale of convo. like last week i was speakkng to someone about the new album and one guy said "man i wish it was more chad sprinkled throughout" and i said, what makes you think he wasnt? and he said he read that on a reddit page that chad wasnt involved much. i said would you have even been capable of recognizing if chad had anything to do with this if you didnt read that comment? he said nah, and it made me realize alot of people must do that on here for sake of convo and to find a specific reason to either like or dislike it, cause people get off knowing they know details about something, its almost human nature, like secrets or some shit haha

• @Mavis I’m became pretty envious right when you mentioned you had a Chad Hugo version of Lemon 😩 my eyes got acidic

• Staff

@superjdoug said in HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK:

@Mavis I’m became pretty envious right when you mentioned you had a Chad Hugo version of Lemon 😩 my eyes got acidic

It sucks

Edit: it sucks but no disrespect. ❤️

• Staff

@BabyMilo yeah I’ve heard a lot of people say that about the new record. I think it’s just the cool thing to say. Almost the equivalent of saying “I liked it before it was popular”. But as you say, those same guys don’t actually know who does what.

It’s interesting b/c you’re close to P and them and I guess I’m more closer to Chad and Shae and we prob learn and hear different things, so who knows maybe we are both biased in certain directions? Either way, this year I’m gonna try and make it my aim to just enjoy music more (in general not just tunes) and stop over analysing. Which I do way too much

• @Mavis said in HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK:

@superjdoug said in HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK:

@Mavis I’m became pretty envious right when you mentioned you had a Chad Hugo version of Lemon 😩 my eyes got acidic

It sucks

lmao

Looks like your connection to HIDDEN FIGURES WAS SICK was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.