Songs Produced By The Neptunes That Are Sample Based

• The Neptunes have a unique signature sound that has both significantly innovated contemporary hip hop and pop music production as well as influence other producers. One thing that especially unusual about their music from a hip hop perspective is they very seldom sample past music to create beats unlike many other high profile and legendary hip hop producers.

There are some exceptions to this rule, Gotta Have It is one example, Pharrell is on the record for having a great respect for James Brown, the artist sampled in this song. Although this song is co-produced by Kayne West, a producer with a reputation of sampling soul based artists. Kanye likely influenced the decision to sample here.

Gwen Stefani's Wind It Up samples "The Lonely Goathert". However this decision was made at the request of Gwen Stefani as The Sound of Music is her favorite film.

Perhaps a better example would be N.E.R.D's Time For Some Action which appears to sample The Dismasters song

from Lightning Magic Prayer but those aren't musically produced samples.

What are some instances of Neptunes produced tracks that feature samples from past records? Also, bonus points for details behind the production of these tracks. To be clear, I don't mean remix of original tracks (i.e. Prince's The Greatest Romance Ever remix, Michael Jackson's Never Say Goodbye remix)

• Staff

@Honor_basquiat said in Songs Produced By The Neptunes That Are Sample Based:

The Neptunes have a unique signature sound that has both significantly innovated contemporary hip hop and pop music production as well as influence other producers. One thing that especially unusual about their music from a hip hop perspective is they very seldom sample past music to create beats unlike many other high profile and legendary hip hop producers.

There are some exceptions to this rule, Gotta Have It is one example, Pharrell is on the record for having a great respect for James Brown, the artist sampled in this song. Although this song is co-produced by Kayne West, a producer with a reputation of sampling soul based artists. Kanye likely influenced the decision to sample here.

Gwen Stefani's Wind It Up samples "The Lonely Goathert". However this decision was made at the request of Gwen Stefani as The Sound of Music is her favorite film.

Perhaps a better example would be N.E.R.D's Time For Some Action which appears to sample The Dismasters song

. Also vocal samples from Anti Matter along with vocal samples from Lightning Magic Prayer but those aren't musically produced samples.

What are some instances of Neptunes produced tracks that feature samples from past records? Also, bonus points for details behind the production of these tracks. To be clear, I don't mean remix of original tracks (i.e. Prince's The Greatest Romance Ever remix, Michael Jackson's Never Say Goodbye remix)

Clipse - The Funeral, SWV - When This Feeling, Total - When Boy Meets Girl, SWV - Use Your Heart

I feel like they stopped sampling once they hit the mainstream. Chad said they stopped sampling because it was cheaper and easier to get clearance if they just took “inspiration” from songs and replayed and changed parts. Also that new method was better suited to their “sound”

• @Mavis i love this forum. I learn something new everyday. I don't remember if I've heard this before or not but I'm mind blown lol. The idea to flip this is genius.

• @Mavis didnt they co produce the funeral with another producer? I remember reading that way back when and assuming that that sample was from another producer and they just laced the drums and other sounds

• "Chad said they stopped sampling because it was cheaper and easier to get clearance if they just took “inspiration” from songs and replayed and changed parts"

Yep... and Blurred Lines proved that too much "inspiration", without credit/clearance, can cost you a lawsuit

• You'll almost never hear them directly sample. Always interpolations. Some examples I've come up on:

Basslines:

Keys:

Then there's the vocal chops. The lady at church preaching about soup, that video of the police stop, that kid doing the speech with the Jamaican accent P used for SLOT, the Rachel Jeantel interview on HuffPost, that crazy preacher dude, Retch "mad ethnic right now," that Congressman tryna quiet down the guy in the town hall meeting "WAIT A MINUTE", etc etc

• the bridge breakdown on frontin ---- mj - i can't help it

• 0_1523608819921_neptunes-samples-back.png

• @essntl said in Songs Produced By The Neptunes That Are Sample Based:

0_1523608819921_neptunes-samples-back.png

Great find @essntl !
    I had to check Preservation. How they did a great job using Whipping Post... Amazing

• I remember @Mika sharing a folder that has a lot of samples/ interpolations

• Stevie Wonder - “That Girl” / Pharrell - “I Really Like You Girl”

Babyface - “I Love You Babe” / Pharrell - “Young Girl”

Master P - "Bout It, Bout It" / Slim Thug - "This Is My Life"

Missy Elliott - “Sock It 2 Me” / Krayzie Bone - “Who’s House”/Slim Thug - “Like A Boss”

James Brown - “Mind Power” / Diddy - “Show Me Your Soul”

Al Green - “Let’s Stay Together” / Cee-Lo - “Let’s Stay Together”

Jay-Z - “Dead Presidents” / Slim Thug - “Dedicate”

Prince - “Housequake” / Robin Thicke - “Wanna Love U Girl”

• The Jimmy Castor Bunch’s “It’s Just Begun” - NER*D “Kill Joy”.

• I'm finna take you to the tip-top, baby

• james - hot pants / roxanne shante - have a nice day / bow wow - take ya home
    james - soul power / pmw - please don't mind
    vanity - nasty girl / britney - slave

• Staff

Oh i thought we were talking about actual samples? If it’s interps then I could go forever

• @Mavis said in Songs Produced By The Neptunes That Are Sample Based:

Oh i thought we were talking about actual samples? If it’s interps then I could go forever

samples/interps, im/we here for them all.

• The Time - 777-9311/ Justin Timberlake - I’m Lovin’ It.

• The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black / JT/Latrelle - Nothin' Else

• Staff

@Hunter said in Songs Produced By The Neptunes That Are Sample Based:

The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black / JT/Latrelle - Nothin' Else

Cool I’ve never noticed the similarities to paint it black before but I see what you mean. However, I’m sure it’s based on this old Tango song that sounds the exact same but has a different chorus. James (85maestro) found it once

• @Spaceman said in Songs Produced By The Neptunes That Are Sample Based:

The Time - 777-9311/ Justin Timberlake - I’m Lovin’ It.

this is the record I couldn't find it thanks!

Looks like your connection to Songs Produced By The Neptunes That Are Sample Based was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.