Ariana Grande - Sweetener (2018)

• @lord_willin Blurred Lines was obvious from day 1 that it’d be a smash. I think I wrote “this will he Pharrells first radio hit in 6 years” on the thread.

People are sooo divided on this song. Ariana and P fans alike. It’s a dollar store beat.

• Nah, you'd be lying if you said you knew from the start it would be a smash. Took almost a year for people to acknowledge it. When I first heard it, I thought it was lazy and generic, but it grew.

• @Skletch said in Ariana Grande - Sweetener (August 17, 2018):

Nah, you'd be lying if you said you knew from the start it would be a smash. Took almost a year for people to acknowledge it. When I first heard it, I thought it was lazy and generic, but it grew.

Exactly WTF the general consensus when that song came out was that it would flop, This was during the time when all the pop stars were releasing EDM songs, and that track sounded like absolutely nothing that was out at the time.

• What? That song/ video dropped in Spring 2013 and was literally everywhere for the next several months.

Obv the video helped tons. But stilll...there were several people on this forum that said this would be a smash the day it dropped.

• Staff

@Skletch said in Ariana Grande - Sweetener (August 17, 2018):

Nah, you'd be lying if you said you knew from the start it would be a smash. Took almost a year for people to acknowledge it. When I first heard it, I thought it was lazy and generic, but it grew.

In one listen I could tell blurred lines was a hit, and if I remember correctly it near enough instantly became a hit too. It definitely didn’t take a year. I think it dropped in March? And by May it was #1 all over the world

• Yeah it was Happy which took the time not blurred lines. & even then, real ones knew it was going to hit straight away

• P taking us to 2030, glorious.

• @Skletch said in Ariana Grande - Sweetener (August 17, 2018):

I wonder how many hours a day Pharrell spends on YouTube lol

It’s from the same video that the Lemon ‘wait a minute’ comes from - but from the other party this time. I wonder whether there is any significance in him always going back to this video?

Either way, sample works really well, against all odds it sounds cool and is almost the catchiest part of the record thanks to the repetition...

• I bet you the reason he keeps using the same sample is really because he doesnt actually know how to get the mp3s from youtube vids and hes too scared to ask

• @whevesy he could just, you know, type his questions in Google, no embarrassment there.

• I think I also remember everyone here said Blurred Lines would be a hit from the get-go
    The forum was buzzing man. We were anticipating Pharrell season after that

• Yeah, I'm convinced the Mandela effect is real lol...

• @Skletch I think you’re just confusing the blurred lines roll out with Happy roll out. 2013 and 2014 were gooooooood to us.

• We gotta revive that thread cuz I swear the reception was that it was cool but that it wouldn’t be accepted by the mainstream from the majority of the forum at the time lol

• @Pushamalicious-T

I think that threads gone. They reset the forum sometime after that. Maybe @mika or @mari have it archived somewhere.

• I'm thinking maybe because it leaked to us early because I remember when it was getting played everywhere, it came on the radio and my friend said, "wasn't this the song you were playing last summer?" and I was like, "yeah, I never expected it to get radio play, let alone get popular."

• https://theneptunes.org/2013/03/robin-thicke-announces-new-single-blurred-line-featuring-pharrell-t-i/

This was the first time any of us heard anything about it.

Video dropped a week after - and song dominated the charts from April 2013 onward

@Skletch

Mandela effect in full effect bro.

• Lol it really is.

• Light is coming is growing on me for some weird ass reasons...

• Damn they really made me a believer lol. I can’t get the song out of my head. 🤷🏾‍♂️ Can’t wait to hear the rest of the album. I’m just excited to hear some super weird sounding pop music at the moment.

Looks like your connection to Ariana Grande - Sweetener (2018) was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.