The 4 Count

• Does anyone know how many times The Neptunes/Pharrell has used the signature 4 count start at the beginning? I remember the first one was Bodysnatchers - Clipse and a couple random times in their earlier work. Then all of a sudden years later it's on almost everything.

• Staff

@Mya.Capone I remember it on “am I high” but it’s probably on tons of things before then that I never noticed. I think Chad used to create intro’s to a lot of songs b/c of his DJ background and understanding that the count is too intrusive, and then when they started working together less then the count came in more

• Theres this but this still isn't even the half of it

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• i think you could trace it back to kaleidoscope and EAF. could clip's "bodysnatchers" or kelis' "roller rink", "mars" or "i want your love" count?

• @Mavis Oh I guess they kind of did it in an odd sort of way on Am I High. I wonder if Pharrell and Chad ever had an argument over that haha. Not sure what would be considered intrusive about it. I always thought it sounded pretty sick. I suppose it is more of a pharrell thing to do.

• @essntl Absolutely!

• @whevesy I remember finding this. Who ever made it probably only bothered with hit singles.

• Staff

@Mya.Capone said in The 4 Count:

@Mavis Oh I guess they kind of did it in an odd sort of way on Am I High. I wonder if Pharrell and Chad ever had an argument over that haha. Not sure what would be considered intrusive about it. I always thought it sounded pretty sick. I suppose it is more of a pharrell thing to do.

I guess if someone has a single and it’s being played alongside other songs in a club or the radio then the stutter sometimes doesn’t work for mixing between songs. I’ve noticed their songs that are singles for other people tend to have intro’s (not all, but most).

@essntl oh yeah I didn’t think of Kelis

• @Mya.Capone said in The 4 Count:

Does anyone know how many times The Neptunes/Pharrell has used the signature 4 count start at the beginning? I remember the first one was Bodysnatchers - Clipse and a couple random times in their earlier work. Then all of a sudden years later it's on almost everything.

I think the first one may have been Latrelle - I Need U (1998)

I only ever really noticed it in 2007 or 2008 (Seeing Sounds Era) and I remember because most of the tracks start with the 4 Count and it used to annoy the shit out of me hahahah!!

• Admin

@KoJo said in The 4 Count:

Does anyone know how many times The Neptunes/Pharrell has used the signature 4 count start at the beginning? I remember the first one was Bodysnatchers - Clipse and a couple random times in their earlier work. Then all of a sudden years later it's on almost everything.

I only ever really noticed it in 2007 or 2008 (Seeing Sounds Era) and I remember because most of the tracks start with the 4 Count and it used to annoy the shit out of me hahahah!!

I think ive added that :|

• @Mika said in The 4 Count:

@KoJo said in The 4 Count:

I think ive added that :|

HAHAHA Believe it or not, I listened to it today and thought it sounded edited but just ignored it.
    Cot Dammit @Mika !!

• The four count is so tight to me i love that shit

Looks like your connection to The 4 Count was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.