Pharrell’s 808’s influence

• Listening to this ape shit song really confirmed to me that Pharrell created those g ass 808’s. I’ve always noticed this but I listen to lots of Lucki, Sosa, and Carti and one thing those three artists have in common is the 808’s and drum pattern. A lot of their music has that raw ass bass Pharrell uses that just sounds so fucking G. Pierre Bourne copied Pharrell’s sound already and mexikodro kind of derived some elements but not all but this is something I’ve noticed. All these people actually make it we’ll known how high they hold Pharrell up. Sosa’s middle name is “Farrelle” and he’s even said Pharrell inspires him a lot I think he might even be his idol. I think artists like the ones I mentioned are the next generation LUPE and P

• Staff

Bruh the 808’s been popular since the 80’s

• @Mavis bro I don’t think you know what I’m talking about then

• I always thought Pharrell was pretty bad at how he used 808’s. Pretty much like 1 out of 10 songs that he produces with 808’s he uses them in a way that fits sonically. Most of the time they are so awkward and out of place and clash with any other low end sounds.

But I do agree they sound phenomenal on apesht.

• @Jesse the clash with other low end thing is so on point like with Icha Gicha in particular, ill beat but the 808s make no sense with the bass synth

• @Jesse whoever mixed that song did it right even the vocal chops are nice and subtle in the back

• Nah, P didn’t start anything. He just uses 808’s.

• P isn't really doing anything innovative with the sounds he uses, mostly stock sounds. I'm still not bored of the way he chops up vocals tho it fits his current style well.

We need Chad to bring back some crazy synth sounds for P.

• @UAJ11 said in Pharrell’s 808’s influence:

P isn't really doing anything innovative with the sounds he uses, mostly stock sounds. I'm still not bored of the way he chops up vocals tho it fits his current style well.

We need Chad to bring back some crazy synth sounds for P.

tbh he's always mostly used stock sounds,

• Speaking of P and 808s anyone notice how stubborn P was towards switching to 808s initially? Looks like he finally gave in. I’m glad he did. Because his shit sounded dated

• @Playahater said in Pharrell’s 808’s influence:

Speaking of P and 808s anyone notice how stubborn P was towards switching to 808s initially? Looks like he finally gave in. I’m glad he did. Because his shit sounded dated

Was he? Never noticed that.

• Here are some examples of what I’m talking about. Listen to the 808’s. If someone else did that before Pharrell then educate me

• @Rafael-Arana sorry bro i dont understand. what are you referring to?

• If you're referring to that "808 sub bass" (simply referring to them as 808s is really broad bc 808s might refer to the whole drum machine where all of these sounds originated) the answer is still no. P didn't even hop on this wave until a couple of years ago. You might have to credit Lex Luger with really innovating that sort of pattern and time sig with the bass. And idk who you were referring to as the next Lupe or P but if it was Keef and Pierre Bourne, you're tweaking hard. Good day sir

• Staff

They were doing the 808 bass thing ever since the 80’s with the miami bass scene. Even Gloria Estefan and her producers were doing that shit over 30 years ago

• @Pushamalicious-T y’all don’t get it omggg

• You can’t even articulate what you mean bruh lol

• @Pushamalicious-T said in Pharrell’s 808’s influence:

You can’t even articulate what you mean bruh lol

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 this shit had me rolling on the floor bro.

Ok in raffis defense,!he is Brazilian whose first language is Portuguese. so it probably is pretty hard for him to perfectly explain what he is trying to say in English

• @Pushamalicious-T LMAOOO eassssyyy tiger

• YOU TALKING ABOUT THE DISTORTION OF THE 808 BRUV?

• @Jesse said in Pharrell’s 808’s influence:

I always thought Pharrell was pretty bad at how he used 808’s. Pretty much like 1 out of 10 songs that he produces with 808’s he uses them in a way that fits sonically. Most of the time they are so awkward and out of place and clash with any other low end sounds.

But I do agree they sound phenomenal on apesht.

Point case of 808s sounding awkward being "Man of The Woods"

Looks like your connection to Pharrell’s 808’s influence was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.