Where were you when you first heard In My Mind

• 12thhhhhh

I was like 12/13 and i sat on my couch zoning out to this and everything about this was just so great and new to me. The first time i heard Angel and Our Father was a moment for me.

• I bought it the day it came out. I remember being kinda disappointed cause it sounded so different from his work with Chad. Definitely appreciated it more as I got older.

• I was on vacation in the Philippines when it came out, and I was bummed thinking I had to wait to come back from there to buy and listen to the physical copy. A few days after it released, I walked into a Virgin record store out there and saw it sitting there and bought it. It was the soundtrack to that whole vacation! Fun note: on the packaging it says that it was packaged in the Philippines, so I’ll always remember I got it there!

• It leaked one late summer night. It’s funny cause I thought it was just the “advance” version that was going around but it was the full thing.

When I bought it from Best Buy I was hella mad they only had the version with the blue ice cream sweater. I think st the time I wanted the striped shirt one

• I didn’t get to hear imm until sept 29th 2006 because I was locked up 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• I got it for my birthday so I was just at home with family.
    I remember looking at the insert poster for a loooooong time 😳

• Staff

It leaked and I put it on to listen to while I had a bath. I won’t lie I thought it was underwhelming after such a long wait. Those feelings haven’t changed. Solid 6/10

I prefer GIRL

• To this day, it is still my favourite album of all time and will always be... Everything on this album is amazing, melodies, corny ass lyrics lol ... and Angel is a classic! Shame it didnt include frontin tho..
    Girl is great, dont get me wrong but it doesnt have that neptunes magic that blew my mind back in summer 2006 and its more mature than IMM...

• mannnn i was at a basketball camp and couldn't leave. my mom surprised me with it on the last day when she came to pick me up

• @KevinMorow you felt like frontin should've been on that at the time?

• @KevinMorow said in Where were you when you first heard In My Mind:

To this day, it is still my favourite album of all time and will always be... Everything on this album is amazing, melodies, corny ass lyrics lol ... and Angel is a classic! Shame it didnt include frontin tho..
    Girl is great, dont get me wrong but it doesnt have that neptunes magic that blew my mind back in summer 2006 and its more mature than IMM...

frontin was 3 years before that, why is it a shame like it was planned to be on it?

• Probably chilling on #theneptunes haha.

Man this album is a classic, listening back so many tracks I love, You can do it too, I Really Like You, Our Father, Number One, the chords on Stay With Me are soo sick. Definitely a huge influence on the way I make music.

• my brother went to best buy and bought it and then we listened to it in the car on the way home.
    i didnt fall in love with it on my first listen. tbh it felt like it was missing something, it lacked a certain touch. but the crazy thing is it inspired me that summer to make more beats and to try different kinds of beats. over time though the album grew on me, but it had an impact on me creatively. I can still say theres a few songs i dont really listen to or really like from the album. i liked the more introspective songs and the r&b songs vs the more rap oriented songs. can i have it like that was a departure back then that today i really enjoy. i still think baby is weird but man i've always like that one. dim the lights was my shit, i still love randomly yelling "JESUS IS MAH DADDY IM TELLING YOU". the only song i can say i really really dont fuck with is number one. I just dont "understand" it lmao
    a solid 7/10 album for me

• Not just one single memory because the rollout of the album spanned a year (from can I have it like that in Summer ‘05 through to the full album release a year later), but can remember when certain songs came out or leaked . Somehow i just wasn’t that pumped for the album at the time (and it’s still not among my favourite projects) but the memories of that summer with the album just feel really good, really vivid.

• Me and my family were vacationing in India when IMM dropped. I scoured the ST forum trying to find some kind of download links. Even snippets. I was thirsty AF. Found some links but my shitty Indian internet connection would die before anything could download.

I think I spent most of that India trip thinking about this album. Because I was reading all the comments on the forum. Everyone talking about how fire That Girl was. And I Really Like You. FOMO before FOMO was a thing. At one point I was going into every Indian music store I could find asking if they had this album. Everyone was like wtf.

Me and my fam got back to Canada middle of August and I spent a week listening to IMM. I fucking died when I heard That Girl and Best Friend. Still my favorite on that album.

• @xacbeats @BabyMilo yes I think it should have been on that album at least as a bonus track just because it was the song that established him as a solo artist and it was such a huge hit as well... If girl was to come out tomorrow, I'm sure happy would be on there, regardless of when it got released...

• Staff

@KevinMorow there’s no way he would have put Frontin on the album because it has Chad on it. I dunno if anyone remembers, but In My Mind was heavily advertised as being 100% Pharrell. Initially the promo even said he was going to engineer, record, mix and master it himself.

I think he was trying to prove himself.

• @Mavis said in Where were you when you first heard In My Mind:

@KevinMorow there’s no way he would have put Frontin on the album because it has Chad on it. I dunno if anyone remembers, but In My Mind was heavily advertised as being 100% Pharrell. Initially the promo even said he was even going to engineer, record, mix and master it himself.

i 100% remember this. "produced by pharrell" started happening and a lot of fans weren't happy about that

• First heard it the moment I got home after meeting P for the first time at the Virgin Mega Store in NYC, that summer was memorable

• @Mavis said in Where were you when you first heard In My Mind:

@KevinMorow there’s no way he would have put Frontin on the album because it has Chad on it. I dunno if anyone remembers, but In My Mind was heavily advertised as being 100% Pharrell. Initially the promo even said he was even going to engineer, record, mix and master it himself.

Lol, still had Chad on it.

• @KevinMorow man u would run a business horrible haha

Looks like your connection to Where were you when you first heard In My Mind was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.