Pharrell “sad” era?

• Staff

Yo so I’m trying to get back into old Neptunes stuff. Is it just me or is there a period of time where the majority of Neptunes/Pharrell music sounds sad and cold? And the lyrics to a lot of songs too.

From like 2005 - 2008. Did anyone else notice it?

• @Mavis I noticed that in 2008. Especially on Seeing Sounds(Sooner Later, Love Bomb, Laugh About It, Happy (the most obvious one). Also Patron, What’s a Guy Gotta Do. Even I Decided has a underlying, subdued tone to it.

That was right around the time he broke up with Vashtie so it makes sense.

IMM in 2006 was also speckled with subdued, production. I don’t wanna say sad. But just like glum

I feel like 2007 was an outlier. Can’t think of any at the moment.

• Staff

@Playahater yuh good examples. I felt the same about IMM. There’s something dark about it. Some others off top are that 2nd Gwen album, the clipse album (which is executed perfectly), obsession, dope boy, say goodbye to love, I’m just me, down, why should I be sad...

I always listen to stuff too deeply, because I find it interesting - But it def seems like there’s a sadness to P’s music during that era

• i just always considered that era to be the chad-less era

• Ps best songs are the sad ones

• @pappoo

wanna hear something super depressing. we are still technically still in the Chad-less era - meaning we have been Chadless longer than we were Chadful

• @pappoo glum is like the perfect way to describe the 06 era. Like that word really kind of encapsulates the atmosphere of the IMM production in particular. Damn

• This is what happens when we haven't had any new music in a while lol.

• Staff

@Skletch said in Pharrell “sad” era?:

This is what happens when we haven't had any new music in a while lol.

Bingo 😂😂

• Admin

you always talk about the lyrics, I really give a damn about them

• @Skletch LOL so true.

Posts like this have kept this forum alive for so long. Remember the 2009-2012 drought where we barely got to hear any finished music by P. This forum was packed with posts like these.

• a minute of philosophy right now: everything in this world is relative, right?! Everything is built with a certain balance (in relative way). So, with no sadness in this world we couldn't feel fun and the true nature of it!! So we have to realize that, and be in harmony with Both!! P is really attentive, considered and pretty mindful person from what i see and hear. And he has that great feeling and knowledge of a balance and, obviously, he knows how to use it in his life, im sure!! You may not know it, but you can feel it, just be very attentive!!

• @Andrew said in Pharrell “sad” era?:

a minute of philosophy right now: everything in this world is relative, right?! Everything is built with a certain balance (in relative way). So, with no sadness in this world we couldn't feel fun and the true nature of it!! So we have to realize that, and be in harmony with Both!! P is really attentive, considered and pretty mindful person from what i see and hear. And he has that great feeling and knowledge of a balance and, obviously, he knows how to use it in his life, im sure!! You may not know it, but you can feel it, just be very attentive!!

aka Just A Cloud Away =)

Looks like your connection to Pharrell “sad” era? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.