Can you separate art from the artist?

• Gauging people's opinion on this. Me personally yes, I love music too much to ever stop listening to an artist no matter what they did. But I'm curious you guys' take on it.

• Yup, I’ve separated the art from people I’ve found to be extremely lame or hold views that I find to be shitty but it doesn’t change how much I appreciate their music. I may see it through a different lens but a good song is a good song.

• Fuck R Kelly

• I can. It’s funny because I was just having this conversation at work

• Nope. I stopped listening to Kanye and I did the same for R Kelly. I can't support someone whose views don't align with mine.

• Staff

Yep easily. It really annoys me when people can’t seperate the two. For example, people saying they won’t listen to Kanye’s music any more b/c of his views. Even though it’s still the same music they loved originally?

The world would be boring as shit if we only paid attention to people that are the exact same as us. And to block out anything that you even slightly disagree with is kind of a weird outlook imo.

🤷🏽‍♂️

Edit: I honestly typed this without seeing ECHLN’s reply above. This wasn’t aimed at you personally.

• I want to separate it, but at the same time, I don't want to support shitty people and elevate then in anyway...it's not so black and white.

• It all depends on the situation, if the person owns up to their mistakes (as long as the shit isn't THAT BAD) and says "I'm sorry that I did this, I promise I have changed and what I did was very bad" but as far as people like r Kelly and xxx go , that do fucking horrifying things and pretending that they didn't, fuck them into eternal hell, listening is also supporting to me

• It's the times we are in -- I think these things are now ballooning into question due to the age of digital information we are in. We are able to receive and share and align together, enlighten one another to create a conscious moral wave to and magnify these folks in higher positions and hold them accountable for their actions. Get em the fuck out of here if they are truly a scumbag and are causing harm or actively derailing others. Morally, there should 100% be a stoppage if someone is knowingly a piece of shit and has done unspeakable things and derailed lives in the process. Again, yes, you can morally stop listening to things or choose not to throw them on your playlists. Or if you are approaching things scientifically and understand that these waves of energy are already out there for our artistic interpretation, pleasure and enjoyment by an artist, that may be enough for some people. Some folks don't care about the narrative and just want to enjoy music.

For someone specifically like Kanye, he's not physically causing harm, but he supports someone who others (many many others) don't agree with, I personally am not going to totally kill him on this or take his works off of my playlists. Whether you believe there's mental illness effecting this, or if you think Kanye is just rebelling and wearing the MAGA hat to stir things up intentionally or making more talking points for his Yeezy brand -- all these things are a personal non-threatening preference. People may feel bad and betrayed, but it's not like he's raping and assaulting or physically harming folks -- At the end of the day, I dig Kanye's approach musically and he's running a billion dollar company.

• @Mavis said in Can you separate art from the artist?:

Yep easily. It really annoys me when people can’t seperate the two. For example, people saying they won’t listen to Kanye’s music any more b/c of his views. Even though it’s still the same music they loved originally?

The world would be boring as shit if we only paid attention to people that are the exact same as us. And to block out anything that you even slightly disagree with is kind of a weird outlook imo.

🤷🏽‍♂️

Edit: I honestly typed this without seeing ECHLN’s reply above. This wasn’t aimed at you personally.

No worries

• Music is the extension of the artist so I absolutely have a hard time separating the two. To me an artists behavior or actions can cloud whatever music of theirs I used to love.

Kanye for example. I haven’t listened to any of his shit - new or old - since he went full retard. I have no desire. I’ll listen to other artists that feature his production tho. Just not his own music.

Even Usher. Since that whole herpes thing I haven’t listened to him or even felt like putting on some classic Usher songs.

• Staff

@Playahater let it burn, let it burn, gotta let it buuurrrrrrn

• When I’m listening to music, it might be shallow, but most the time I’m running off how that music makes me feel rather than thinking of the story behind its composition or lyrics. For that reason I find it easier to distinguish between the artist and the music. But even when the artist themselves has a huge presence over the music, I still find it hard not to still love their art. MJ for example - even with the allegations we all know (whether true or not), even knowing that, I just can’t help still loving the music.

I hate to even put it out there, but what happens if something were to ever come out about one of our biggest influences (if you get my drift)? Do we just all completely erase something that’s had a huge influence on us? Or do we still enjoy the music as part of the fabric of our existences and separate it from any wrongdoing of the artist?

I might be being a little selfish/disrespectful for this view but that’s how I feel - everyone is emotionally different though, so as long as you’re making your own decision rather than following any sort of mob mentality, I respect your views ✊🏻

• i dont think about the person who made the music at all when im listening to it. That would only be in conversations afterwards but never while im actually listening to the music, the music always comes first in that way and if the guy or girl who made it is a dick irl then i just wont watch that person's interviews or whatever, its not gonna affect how the music sounds to me.
    I guess i would be biased if i didnt like the artist beforehand without having ever listened to their music, but i would still be into it if the music was dope. But it surely doesn't hurt if you like the personality of the artist you're listening to, that only emphasizes the enjoyment i think, because you would feel more connected to the music

• @superjdoug i'M GOING DOWN WITH THE SHIP LOL

• @superjdoug said in Can you separate art from the artist?:

When I’m listening to music, it might be shallow, but most the time I’m running off how that music makes me feel rather than thinking of the story behind its composition or lyrics. For that reason I find it easier to distinguish between the artist and the music. But even when the artist themselves has a huge presence over the music, I still find it hard not to still love their art. MJ for example - even with the allegations we all know (whether true or not), even knowing that, I just can’t help still loving the music.

I hate to even put it out there, but what happens if something were to ever come out about one of our biggest influences (if you get my drift)? Do we just all completely erase something that’s had a huge influence on us? Or do we still enjoy the music as part of the fabric of our existences and separate it from any wrongdoing of the artist?

I might be being a little selfish/disrespectful for this view but that’s how I feel - everyone is emotionally different though, so as long as you’re making your own decision rather than following any sort of mob mentality, I respect your views ✊🏻

same

• Of course you can, in my opinion. Usually when I find an artist, I download every single project they've released (from the first to the current). This way I can get an actual feel for the music and the artist. Although, I like the artist, I don't necessarily have to agree with their views, opinions, or actions. And to be honest, it's none of my business. I'm not getting paid to keep up with those things, it's not taking care of my family, and again IT'S NONE OF MY FUCKING BUSINESS. It is what it is. I'm also aware that business wise some artists don't control the music or actions they put out to the public, because when you sign certain contracts. You're not only signing over the name, but everything that comes along with it. I believe people come in packages, not just specific pro and cons. Either accept them as they are or keep it moving. Hell, it's 7 billion people on this planet. No one is forcing you or putting a gun to your head to listen or pay attention to them or what they're doing; it's a choice. And if you're worried about people judging you because of what you like, then I guess you should check yourself lol. Because in my opinion, I like what I like, and I don't give a fuck who agrees with it or not. If it makes ME happy, then that's all that matters. Fuck everything else.

Looks like your connection to Can you separate art from the artist? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.