Gesaffelstein - Blast Off feat. Pharrell (19')

• http://exclaim.ca/music/article/gesaffelstein_gets_pharrell_haim_for_hyperion_lp

Didn't see this posted yet

alt text

Gesaffelstein - Blast Off feat. Pharrell (19')

• These guys are dope although I never heard a song with them using vocals.

• @pappoo

It was posted on the website...

I guess Mika's waiting for it to drop to post it on the forum...lol

• I know most people probably hate it here but I really loved the vibe of the Weeknd song he released last month

Have to admit I haven’t heard much more of his stuff beyond this, the Weeknd EP from last year and the tracks he contributed to on Yeezus (plus Yandhi snippets), but excited for this

• Staff

Gessafflstein is a god but nahhh I’m not fucking with this change in tone.

To see him start working with Pharrell and the weekend, and playing coachella is lame tbh

It didn’t work for Cassius and it won’t work for him. He should stay true to his roots

• @Mavis it did work for Daft Punk tho... 👀

• @Mavis said in GESAFFELSTEIN - Blast Off (ft Pharrell Williams) March 8th:

Gessafflstein is a god but nahhh I’m not fucking with this change in tone.

To see him start working with Pharrell and the weekend, and playing coachella is lame tbh

It didn’t work for Cassius and it won’t work for him. He should stay true to his roots

this post makes my blood boil o m g fuckkkkk

• that post man, ive seen that so much in real life and it really fucking angers me. " it didnt work for someone else so its not gonna work for him" dont even throw that negative energy at someone else bro. to even think like that is not the move. even if this was a pick up game of basketball and three people missed the shot, and someone was telling the 4th guy "hey man, three people missed the shot before you, DO NOT DO IT YOU ARE GOING TO MISS IT AND I AM BASING THIS OFF OF OTHER PEOPLE AND NOT YOUR ABILITY WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIRS". wild.... telling people to stay "true to their roots" or " in their lane" is also some bullshit. its so much great shit that wouldnt have happened if some people werent curious and didnt explore and try new shit. now i can understand if you dont like the recent output, or if you have a strong connection to some early stuff this man has put out where the new shit doesnt give you that same feeling, but dont be dismissive and straight up negative because u dont fuck with it. "to see him be a musician working with some huge artist and getting a slot at the biggest festival in the world to further his career which means more of his ideas coming to life is trash honestly" is a crazy way to look at it man. ive seen this shit sooooo much in my life where people try to keep people in one spot, selfishly, hindering alot of potential and good ideas all because they personally dont like something. and they are always on the sidelines, they are never ever ever putting themselves out there or even talking from actual experience. never. i may have over reated to this which doesnt even matter cause the internet isnt even real ha, but, that way of thinking since a child always struck a chord with me. i mean kanye is a prime example of exploring working out for the best. i think everything is execution. now, who knows, maybe i'll hear this and agree with you that it wasnt executed right and the songs arent good ( to my ears) but we dont know yet ( i also have not heard his music before but based on that name im guessing its not that far off from what he's making now)

• mavis could you post some of his stuff that you like before the switched in tone?

• Staff

@BabyMilo Yeah I see what you mean, and I usually hate when people say that too but I’m not really saying “stay in your lane”. I’m saying I don’t like that he’s trying to imitate what daft punk did. He’a even working with the exact same artists (Weeknd, Pharrell). It comes across as super calculated and not really like a true creative expression. But who knows - I don’t know the guy. I’m viewing it cynically.

Yeah I totally get that it was negative, and I was in a bad mood and feeling cynical this morning when I wrote it. The Cassius thing is a comparison because they’re both from same background and following the same path. And Cassius are two guys I love btw, but it comes across as inauthentic when they moved into working with P and Ryan Tedder and whoever. It’s true gessafelstein is free to do what he wants, he isn’t here to please me.

I see what you’re saying about people holding others back. That’s 100% not what I meant (though tbh the coachella comment does come off that way without context). I’d like for any artist I love to become huge and successful. I’m not one of those guys that thinks something is precious and should be hidden and I wouldn’t want to hinder a persons career at all - I’m just saying I want the music to be good. And yeah true I made an assumption it was gonna be bad. So I admit that. But no way would I wish to prevent someone being successful.

I’m not gonna take back my comment but I guess I should at least wait and hear the song before making judgement and assuming that it’s gonna be bad.

• @Mavis ahhh ok, i get whata your saying more. hes copying the formula to a T that they did but based on his resume or the way he approaches it, its more than likely not gonna work. its coming off a forced to get the same result as the other guys but, its looking gross and desperate rather than something that happened naturally as a cool idea. right?

• that's what he's known for and respected for:

• @darrenlaking said in GESAFFELSTEIN - Blast Off (ft Pharrell Williams) March 8th:

@pappoo

It was posted on the website...

Oops. I visit the forum 2-3 times a day and the website 2-3 times a year 😬😬 sorry Mika!

• Staff

@whatislove said in GESAFFELSTEIN - Blast Off (ft Pharrell Williams) March 8th:

that's what he's known for and respected for:

Oooooh I remember that video, didn't like the track.

• I mean, its not necessarily bad but def not my thing

• nope, not for me...

• Staff

Too bad for you guys, I like it like A LOT !

• This post is deleted!

• Its already on Spotify too!

Looks like your connection to Gesaffelstein - Blast Off feat. Pharrell (19') was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.