N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017)

• I like 1000 more than RN7s and Lemon, the chords in the 2nd part are beautiful.

• I feel like this album is going to be really polarising - you either love it or hate it. No in between

• Seems like this album is a bunch of songs from the last 3 years that Pharrell decided to hang on to. P just reworked the beats and rewrote some songs to sound more NERDish. Probably got Chads input on a few songs.

That’s what it sounds like to me anyways. This may as well be an IMM Part 2.

• @Playahater said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (TBA) (2017):

Seems like this album is a bunch of songs from the last 3 years that Pharrell decided to hang on to. P just reworked the beats and rewrote some songs to sound more NERDish. Probably got Chads input on a few songs.

That’s what it sounds like to me anyways. This may as well be an IMM Part 2.

probably thats the vibe i get and the features are ppl who didnt take the song. 1000 sounds like it could be and maybe was Futures song.

real quick In Search Of had left over beats too right? cause if I remember correctly Lap Dance was intended for someone and they didnt take it.

• @VandG

Lapdance was for Nas if I remember correctly.

ISO being full of leftovers is passable and understandable. It was there first studio album and they created a brand/style out of that album so I get that those songs had to come from somewhere.

But now that their style and brand has been established for over a decade and a half - I kinda expected them to sit down and make songs “for the next NERD album”. Not compiling a bunch of songs they made for other artists that labels didn’t like. Feels kinda cheap.

From what I’ve read Pharrell’s been doing this heavy since 2009. I remember Pusha saying for Til the Casket Drops P would play them beats from their JayZ folder. Then Snoops folder. Then Common’s. And if Pusha/Malice didn’t like any...THEN they’d make new shit.

Seems like a cop out way of making an anticipated album

Who knows tho. I could be wrong about this being an album of leftovers.

• Staff

@Playahater said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (TBA) (2017):

@VandG

Lapdance was for Nas if I remember correctly.

ISO being full of leftovers is passable and understandable. It was there first studio album and they created a brand/style out of that album so I get that those songs had to come from somewhere.

But now that their style and brand has been established for over a decade and a half - I kinda expected them to sit down and make songs “for the next NERD album”. Not compiling a bunch of songs they made for other artists that labels didn’t like. Feels kinda cheap.

From what I’ve read Pharrell’s been doing this heavy since 2009. I remember Pusha saying for Til the Casket Drops P would play them beats from their JayZ folder. Then Snoops folder. Then Common’s. And if Pusha/Malice didn’t like any...THEN they’d make new shit.

Seems like a cop out way of making an anticipated album

Who knows tho. I could be wrong about this being an album of leftovers.

It does feel like an album of leftovers. I dunno if that’s bad though? I think The Neptune’s biggest songs have kind of been accidental, when someone has rejected the track and they gave it to someone else... think about it

Caught out there (busta)
    Like I Love You (MJ)
    Slave 4 U (Janet)
    Lap dance (Nas)
    Happy (Cee-lo)
    Milkshake (Britney)

And so on... somehow giving the songs to a different person seems to work. It would’ve been better if he stripped the original features off though.

• Justified was mostly leftovers from what I remember. They did a great job reworking the songs to fit Justin though.

I kinda hope it’s not the case (leftovers) for this new album but I suppose it’s not bad if they rework them to give it an overall NERD vibe. Lemon and 1000 don't feel like they have been reworked to the extent that I personally would've liked but then we haven’t heard the full album just yet so will hold judgement till then.

• Some good discussion on here, but I think I’m going to check out for a couple of weeks and listen to the album once it arrives so I can (hopefully) enjoy it for what it is and try and form an objective view 🖖🏻

• It's gonna be a tough coupe of weeks wait but I've only heard Lemon so far and don't want to hear the rest until the whole thing is out.

At least I have the new Miguel to tide me over until then.

• This post is deleted!

• Y’all ready for #1000DANCECHALLENGE?

• Staff

@Hunter said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (TBA) (2017):

Y’all ready for #1000DANCECHALLENGE?

Lmfao dear god please no.

• So you guys haven’t mentioned Future’s feature much... I take it that’s a sign it’s okay...?
    I don’t even mind Future but it was definitely him that made me ‘wait... what?’ when I read the track list.
    In terms of the Rihanna, Andre and Future features so far, how are you guys feeling about them? You find they add an extra edge/layer/identity to the songs? Would you rather Shay just did all of those parts instead?

I enjoyed Lemon but when listening to the P only version I realised I liked it just the same, so having Rihanna on the track didn’t actually add anything at all for me.

• @3000 I think we (well as least I) have been waiting for a tunes collab with Andre, Rih and Future for so long. Just didn't expect it on a nerd album. I enjoy all three cuts a lot, but I'm still adjusting to NERD with actual features. It's both good and bad, It gets them more attention but takes the special focus off of them in a way. The thing is, nerd has previously been a journey away from regular pharrell/neptune stuff and this is idk what this is. Not trying to figure it out either, just wanna enjoy the feels.

Oh and hearing Shae on 1000 made me like it waaay more. I hope he plays a bigger role on this album, cause I didn't hear him much on any other songs.

• 1000 is a real banger. I really like the beat switches. It sounds futuristic, energetic and cool. I think 1000 is the "spaz" of the album.

Talking about Features, I think Rihanna's feature is maybe the best I heard because of her flow, on the other hand Andre 3K's feature is actually the poorest. Which is sad, because I love Andre so much.

Any guess on what the next single will be?

• so far for me, the features have added a lot to the songs. rihanna's flow rode the lemon beat nicely and future really kills his part on the 1000 beat, so much so that shae's part sounds almost amateur to me. i wasn't really feeling 7s so i won't speak on that song.

the vibe i'm getting from the songs we've heard to far is that this almost feels like a clones vol 2/nerd mashup album. songs made for other artists then given a nerd twist. and i don't think that's a bad thing. really pleased with what i've heard and based on the live vids i know we have at least a few more great songs coming our way.

and regarding leftovers, you can add u don't have to call to the list which was also supposed to be for MJ

• @lord_willin said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (TBA) (2017):

1000 is a real banger. I really like the beat switches. It sounds futuristic, energetic and cool. I think 1000 is the "spaz" of the album.

Talking about Features, I think Rihanna's feature is maybe the best I heard because of her flow, on the other hand Andre 3K's feature is actually the poorest. Which is sad, because I love Andre so much.

Any guess on what the next single will be?

somebody mentioned possibly don't don't do it or secret life of tigers cuz they are the only other two tracks with the song length on iTunes store. I could see another song release on either 11/6 or 11/13. they've released everything on a wednesday. lemon on 11/1, covert art and release date on 11/22 and 1000 on 11/29. could just be a coincidence.

• I hate this whole stigma of leftovers. When you make beats,a beat is a beat; it’s a piece of music. If it’s hot it’s hot if it’s trash it’s trash. It doesn’t matter if it was created having a certain artist in mind and they chose not to use it because it may not have been the avenue they were intending on exploring creatively. If they say no It’s still either a dope beat or it’s a trash beat. It doesent matter who uses it from this point on. Put it this way. When Pharrell sits down to create for a certain artist or nerd , he is still going to make the music the exact same way no matter who the song is for. And that way is whatever feels/sounds good.

And also a lot of times the way producers work is they randomly come up with a sound in their head that’s dope as fuck and lay down the basics in their DAW, save it, then never open that session folder for months. I have hundreds of rough ideas in logic saved in my sessions folder. So what they do as producers when they get in the studio with artists is go through all of those old ass rough idea beat files, playing each one to the artist. Then, when the artist finds one that they are feeling, the producer will produce it more past that rough idea to completion. So while yes technically these beats are “leftovers” songs that an artist didn’t want. They still were created at one point based off a feeling by the producer the same way any other song would be.

I’m not sure if all you guys have a misconception for how studio time and production goes. But studio time is WAY too expensive for a big name artist to sit in a studio with a producer and have the producer produce every beat from scratch for them. “Hold on wait 3 hours til I pick the perfect snare sample for this bridge section drums”.

99% of all collaborations with artists start with beats that the producer created ON HIS OWN TIME, then showcase to the artist. Studio time begins after the beat is pretty much completed, only to add vocals and have the artist make changes to the mixing.

1. Synths are fire that come in before Shae's part and to hear Shae's voice is everything. I just love how experimental this song is. And I'm happy to hear some chords!! It took me a few plays to understand it but now I'm playing it non stop.

• I mean... I’m not even sure how we got from ‘Lemon was for Puff’ to this now being a whole album of leftovers.
    Is it that inconceivable that they actually called Future in for a verse for this song? Rather than writing a whole song around a verse they had of his...?

Looks like your connection to N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017) was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.