N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017)

• @quantim said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

@bigmac2098 That's awesome to see! She was really getting into it (albeit lip syncing of course)

lip syncing in rap just always makes me cringe

• @imleeroygreen said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

@quantim said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

@bigmac2098 That's awesome to see! She was really getting into it (albeit lip syncing of course)

lip syncing in rap just always makes me cringe

Her whole 5 minute set was her lip synching to album tracks. Even Loyalty with Kendrick was the album version with him trying to yell over the track with ad-libs.

• Staff

@Mika said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

@Mavis said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

@bigmac2098 said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

@Mavis said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

Rihanna doesn’t fuck with that song, you can tell.

I take it back

just so you know, im the one who downvoted you

Good to know 👍🏾

• This post is deleted!

• @pappoo Yea i checked it out. I'm trying to get the longsleeve!

• This album gets better with every listen somehow .. it might have been too new or different for one listen and review/judge like most albums today

• after sitting with this for weeks now. It's a 6.5/10 to me. Good album and improvement over Nothing with some really great bright spots. "Girl" is a better listen to me but that's not a diss. And I guess the forum reunion is over now..felt like the old days while it lasted lol

• For those of you who doubted Chad’s involvement.... we were all right about ESP
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BdQI9xLhrwh/

ESP 👁 (RG: @micktheruler)

A post shared by Chad Hugo (@chadhugo) on

• rollin'em 7's gets stuck in my head often. i know its a least fav for some but that song is growing on my hard. especially when 3k starts vocalizing and you can hear pharrell saying "say something n***a what say something"

I just get kinda hype hearing it.

• @yostartrakyo said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

rollin'em 7's gets stuck in my head often. i know its a least fav for some but that song is growing on my hard. especially when 3k starts vocalizing and you can hear pharrell saying "say something n***a what say something"

I just get kinda hype hearing it.

that track one of my favs lol

• not saying this album is bad or good, im just stating why i dont like it much, i guess track by track.

pharrell version of lemon is coo, i like when he raps, but its obvious the first half was added after to make it seem like the left field-ness that NERD possess. the only reason why im pointing that out is because it doesnt really fit and that could be because it sounds forced tacked onto the rest of it. ( plus im the minority that doesnt like rhiannas version, the pockets dont match her voice perfect like it did pharrells)

deep down is fire, even the structure seems ‘fresh’ and open, i dont think anyone dislikes this song. felt 12 again when i first heard it. that “head” run he does on the second pre chorus is the sweetest part of the album to me

viola is obviously a gucci song from 2008. its not bad but when P says abrakadabra i cant help but cringe and think of despicable me 3 left overs. and dont get me wrong, i loved the last soundtrack, but in context, those cool songs being on a kids soundtrack is what makes them cool….when they bleed onto an official album it makes me kinda….ewww…at least the verses. ( wale part is hard but, again, its just a song that wale didnt take pasted onto the end)

1000 is cool, i really like it. in hindsight its what they wanted to do with anti matter. drums are hard, the yell call back stuff is cool. but then again, it was def one of those songs future didnt take and pharrell said lets add some devo based shit at the begining to make it NERD. ( i dont like shes part at all, i turn the song off around there) its hard to hear pharrell be hella preachy about whatever the fuck he’s tryna tell the “youth” and then future comes in talking about $1000 shoes. at least make a cohesive concept track, but that could be me nit-picking

dont dont do it is decent, i wish it was chill the whole time, but i guess to keep the album a certain tone they had to add the devo ish drums and yells…..and through out the whole album this is the only time we really get pharrell singing ( and selfishly thats what i love about him, his phrasing and tone is why he’s my favorite artist) and its those chords that is the base of why i fell in love with music at 4 years old. the hook is cool but when he starts saying these city names it takes me out again and its “oh yeah P is being someone my age on my twitter feed”. cool song tho. its “hug me” sister

esp is fucking trash. for nostalgic reasons the ending is decent in the WOW factor ( if you remember star trak fourms) but man i hate this song.

lighting fire magic prayer is ok. seems like kid cudi didnt take it. its 30 minutes long for no reason and to me it goes no where, the melody seems to be in the same key and moves the same for the most part. but, its just a “just there’ track for me. not great or bad, its “coo”. perfect background music

rolling 7s is my favorite. it sounds like green hair, the pockets are wild, the brush snare with the booming 808 is sick. the vocal chops are used great cause its really a painting, everytime i hear it i cant help but think of 1930s-40s black people doing a shuffle jazz dances in zoot suits and shit ha. with that said, i know people were like ‘ahhhh andree and nerd wow’, but man, andre verse didnt really add anything to me. it seems more of a ‘lets get andre on it cause its iconic’ rather than ‘we need andre 3000 tone of voice and pocket on this song because it will really add to the overall idea’. and im not saying its a bad verse, im just going by was it really needed at the end of a song thats already long and repetitive as it is….fuckign love this song tho

kites is ok. i know people love that song so im just gonna leave it at that.

secret life of tigers is one of the worst things ive heard this year deadass. i didnt know they had it in them to make something so trash. that takes some deep digging in your soul to think of that.

lifting you sounds like an idea ref that didnt get finished. obviously could have been for miguel or rhianna. its missing something, who knows.

truthfully, i love ‘love’ songs. which can just be about infatuation, or other aspects of loving something. no matter what, its a truth and certain way people decide to sing on these songs ( depending on the genre), and that type of stuff is my base when it comes to music. its none on here. and trust me, im always down for artist switching it up, fuck it go left, never stay the same ever, but, this one didnt click with me AT ALL. even the album art was fucking GARBO, the photos inside looked like an urban outfitters catalog…its just, not fire, seems lost. in this climate we live in, alot of us go to music to get away from everything. it sucks going to my favorite band to get away from whatever is going in, and in return the album ends up sounding like my twitter/tinsta timeline. im over the news man. i feel like p feels obligated to talk about these things ( 1. its on his mind and he actually feels and cares about these things, nothing wrong with that) 2. because he feels like 20 year olds all over really gives a fuck about this stuff, but its ALOT of us that dont and dont want to. even with the features, its like yooooo lets get 20 year olds to like us. rhianna, future, kenny, fuck it two of them. ( and i know one can argue that they are producers and they work with everyone, duh, but set that aside and really look) ohhhh, vine? milienals used that? videos go viral? lets force make viral videos so they can know we’re down. ohhh, my ad libs? let me do my best lil uzi vert impression so they can know im cool. culture? complex con is where the fake cool kids go? lets do it there. this whole album pharrell is being an undercover cop at a high school.

but just my two cents looking from 30,000 feet. i wonder what yall think. it was cool having this place active again man. also, i love the fact that it sounds different from everything they’ve done. even hidden figures had its own sound. although i dont like no one ever really dies, i appriciate it for existing as its own thing in their catalog. ALSO, TYPED THIS QUICK ON MY NOTES, ITS DEF WORDS SPELLED WRONG AND I DONT FEEL LIKE SPELL CHECKING MYSELF AND/OR GRAMMAR HAHA, I HOPE I ARTICULATED MY THOUGHTS WELL ENOUGH

• and i hope this stays in here ^

some of yall be being weird *

• @BabyMilo said in N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017):

i didnt know they had it in them to make something so trash. that takes some deep digging in your soul to think of that.

lolol

• @BabyMilo Pretty cool perspective and dope of you to take the time to break it down track by track instead of just saying it's trash lol. I understand how people can dislike the album and I understand why people love it. At the end of the day, we all love the Neptunes for different reasons. I really love that Rollinem 7's is growing on people lol. I didn't think people were gonna click with it. It's my favorite track. It reminds me of I Can't Help by Rosco P. Always loved the Neptunes' left field shit.

• @BabyMilo i was looking for the love songs to brotha

• @BabyMilo undercover cop at a high school?? damn u aint have to do our mans like that hahaha -- I feel you 100% on the complex con tip. I didn't go but from all the videos I've seen, it just looked like dead and forced energy -- people not wanting to move due to them wearing hyped sneakers and clothes and shit (really glad I went to flog gnaw a week prior, because I really wanted to see what N.E.R.D had to offer, but passed up because of legendary line-up and acts ya'll had -- and fuck u guys for having the NO_ONE EVER REALLY DIES ads up between sets, I kept thinking them niggas was gone come out lmao).

But really, Pharrell is 44, I'm sure Chad and Shae are like 43 or 44, and these guys are in a unique position where they have an opportunity to exist in a youth dominated mumble Hip-Hop environment. Nothing about this album coming out seemed real until I heard the synths in 1000 come in and realized, 'oh shit. this is forreal.' -- I actually loved when Shae came on 1000, but it was mainly emotion/ nostalgia fueled love because again it was like "oh shit, these dudes are really here making shit again"

I appreciate you breaking that down for us, because you definitely offer a very rare perspective of hearing things early and a relationship with these guys some of us may only dream to have. The album is still growing on me, and if anything DDBT was worth having even if 65-75% of the album is viewed as trash.

• still my favorite band artist group ever

i also have nothing im currently rebeling against, i dont have any "rainbow angst" hahaha. my life is amazing right now so the hard angry shit aint what im imto at the moment, where you are in life really plays part in how you intake something

• "this whole album pharrell is being an undercover cop at a high school" ... hmm gives new meaning to that 'plant' hat

• Staff

@BabyMilo ” i didnt know they had it in them to make something so trash. that takes some deep digging in your soul to think of that.”

Lmfaaaoooo. Strangely I like secret life of tigers but that weird lyric about “your parents discriminate with them bathrooms” really throws me off. Trust P to let Shae sing that line.

Lightning Fire Magic Prayer is definitely my favourite on the album - the more I listen the more details I hear. Like just yesterday I finally locked into the woman doing Native American chants in the background in time with P’s voice... and then that triggered a whole bunch of things in my imagination about how this song was made or what it’s about. There’s something magical about that track, even the trashy 2nd part.

My friend heard the album and he described it as “someone who doesn’t take drugs trying to sound like they do drugs” which is a pretty accurate description. But yeah as much as I hated on this record it’s actually grown on me a lot. Definitely better than nothing and maybe even tops seeing sounds for me (which I didn’t like because the band became too female-audience focussed at that point)

Looks like your connection to N*E*R*D - No_One Ever Really Dies (2017) was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.