What The Earth Would Look Like If All The Ice Melted

• Admin

• Seriously tho , no info on canadian cities ?

• Pardon my lack of knowledge in this field, but if all ice would melt (because of heat?), then wouldn't also a lot of water evaporate?

• Staff

Yes some would evaporate but not much. It only takes a 4•c change in temp to melt the ice caps. And any water that evaporated would fall as rain. Water can't escape our atmosphere.

I have another question though - If the ice melted would we have less drought ? And would we have more forest and vegetation? Scientists never answer these questions

• @Mavis said:

Yes some would evaporate but not much. It only takes a 4•c change in temp to melt the ice caps. And any water that evaporated would fall as rain. Water can't escape our atmosphere.

I have another question though - If the ice melted would we have less drought ? And would we have more forest and vegetation? Scientists never answer these questions

In the long run maybe... Its just that most dry areas are now not very fertile. It would take time for those areas to be nutrient rich enough to sustain a healthy ecosystem. First years it will be a continuously changing pioneer stage and after a long time (depending on seed dispersal) reaching climax (eg. forests).

Other areas which just as of lately are more dry than before would would still contain nutrient rich soil. Problem here is that rain could account for erosion, flushing the area from the nutrient rich soil.

My worst fear is that climate change would come too rapidly for most organisms to adjust, resulting in a mass extinction. Earth has seen more episodes of mass extinction and always restored balance. But I doubt it is a pleasurable era to live in...

Looks like your connection to What The Earth Would Look Like If All The Ice Melted was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.