Pharrell always wanted to go from The Neptunes to Williams & Hugo

• I think Pharrell was tired of being typecast as having The Neptunes sound.... at about 57:50

• Staff

I don't think he's talking about splitting the Neptunes, he's just talking about their change to live instrumentation. Justified is the time they did that, which spilled into Tasty, FoD, new version of ISO and all those singles they did with live drumming and real instruments.

• I think they got tired of The Neptunes being known as the Producers that always have certain sounds in there songs (Clavi etc.) and wanted to surprise everyone with an expanded sound, not so much splitting up.

• Even now Justified is some next level shit in their catalog. Take it From Here with the full orchestra from Benjamin Wright, Last Night leading into that amazing outro, Rock Your Body, the drums on Like I Love You, etc. He was talking about the evolution from the "Neptunes" sound that people were so accustomed to to something more. Something beyond just their namesake.

• Staff

There was a really cool interview with Chad on some UK website (no longer in existence). Right before Jusitifed came out and he said he's bored of The Neptunes and he believes they've achieved everything possible already. He mentions Justified as recent work that they're proud of because it's "different". I wish I could find it because he also talked about some Cartoon Network show that the neps were supposedly making.

• Some fye ass congos

• 59:30 was mind-blowing -- literally they were just singing "Maybe" from Fly or Die (Obviously they didn't know at the time) and at the then present time it was supposed to be "Baby (bay-beh).. is there something wrong?" that is crazy. I always learn something new when I watch these justified sessions. I have fallen asleep to this whole DVD archive many a night in my earlier years. Thanks for posting this!

• @Mavis said:

There was a really cool interview with Chad on some UK website (no longer in existence). Right before Jusitifed came out and he said he's bored of The Neptunes and he believes they've achieved everything possible already. He mentions Justified as recent work that they're proud of because it's "different". I wish I could find it because he also talked about some Cartoon Network show that the neps were supposedly making.

I remember Shae telling me that back in 08 after their glow in the dark concert. It was some sort of adult cartoon concept or something.

Looks like your connection to Pharrell always wanted to go from The Neptunes to Williams & Hugo was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.