Robin Thicke on ‘Blurred Lines’ and Learning From His Mistakes (NYTIMES)

• Robin Thicke on ‘Blurred Lines’ and Learning From His Mistakes

1.png

HIGHLIGHTS

Q. What was your reaction when you heard the verdict in the “Blurred Lines” case?

A. I was surprised. Very surprised. Obviously, that’s why we’re appealing. I know the difference between inspiration and theft. I’m constantly inspired, but I would never steal. And neither would Pharrell.

In Pharrell’s testimony, he asserted that “Blurred Lines” and “Got to Give It Up” have a similar “feel” but made a distinction between “feel” and plagiarism or copyright infringement.

It comes right down to knowing the difference between being inspired and stealing. Why would I want to, or have to, steal from anybody to make my music? Inspiration can be subliminal. As a songwriter, you’re obviously trying to create a brand-new feeling that comes from your heart. But you can’t help but be inspired by all of the greatness that came before you. In popular music, you know, there’s only so many chords being used. On the Internet, there’s this thing where this band plays the same four chords, and they do 75 hit songs with the same four chords in the exact same pattern. That just shows you some of the limitations in popular music.

**Obviously you’re aware of the “rape-y” talk that surrounded “Blurred Lines.”
    Pharrell and I have never and would never write a song with any negative connotation like that. I think the song on its own — I don’t think that would have existed. Once the video came out, that changed the conversation.

[SOURCE]

• The interviewer was such a fucking dick. I wouldn't even classify this as an interview. It was a personal attack. Robin handled himself perfectly throughout.

• @bigmac2098 agreed, he's still so underappreciated as a musician. Plus he just BANGS out albums, damn!

• Admin

great pic, such a great artist

• TBH Ed Sheeran's 'Thinking Out Loud' is more of a ripoff of 'Sexual Healing' than Thicke's situation with 'Blurred Lines' - but I don't think the Marvin Family dare to try their luck a second time.

This whole case is just a fucking disaster from the start;
    You can't use a "regular" judge and "regular" jury to make a decision on a music case.
    That's like having Figure Skating judges as a Football Referee and Assistant (offside) Referees in a football game - it's just stupid because they wouldn't understand how to judge the situation(s).

Looks like your connection to Robin Thicke on ‘Blurred Lines’ and Learning From His Mistakes (NYTIMES) was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.